2013 Student Leadership Awards Due Monday, March 11
2013 Student Government Association (SGA) Awards Due 4 p.m. March 10
In the Spring of each year the annual Student Leadership Banquet is held to recognize our student leaders for their outstanding serivice and commitment to the College. Faculty, staff, students, and community members are encouraged to nominate deserving students. Self nominations are also encouraged.
There are three award categories: Outstanding Student Leader, Excellence in Leadership and Outstanding Senior. Please see the attached description and criteria for each award. Students may be nominated by students, faculty or staff. Self-nomination is also appropriate.
Nomination instructions. Thoroughly complete all sections of the appropriate nomination forms. Because these awards are selective, it is imperative that you provide as much detailed information as possible regarding the nominee’s leadership role(s). It is appropriate to ask the student for information if necessary. Links to Word document of the nomination forms are provided under each description.
Outstanding Student Leader Award Word version
This award is for those students who have assumed leadership roles on campus and/or in the community and who have demonstrated strong leadership qualities. The criteria for this award include involvement level, responsibility, commitment, management skills, role modeling, and outstanding contribution to the campus and community. Nominees must be in good academic and social standing. In essence, we are looking for those students who have been exemplary role models for other students and who have contributed to the College above and beyond their academic or employment commitments. To nominate a student for this award, please complete and submit the attached nomination form for those accomplishments that were (or are anticipated to be) achieved between May 2012 and May 2013. This award is determined by the Student Leadership Awards Committee, a group whose membership includes both student and staff members.
Excellence In Leadership Award Word version
This award will give special recognition for up to five well-rounded student leaders. In addition to the outstanding student leader criteria, nominees for this award are students who have had significant, in-depth experiences and have been consistent in their participation in voluntary leadership positions at Cortland. These student leaders will have significantly contributed to the College community. Nominees must be in good academic and social standing. To nominate a student for this award, please complete and submit the attached nomination form AND provide a letter of support for those accomplishments that were achieved between May 2012 and May 2013. Please note that all nominations received for this award will automatically be considered for the Outstanding Student Leader Award. This award is also determined by the Student Leadership Awards Committee.
Outstanding Senior Award Word version
This award will recognize one student who is eligible to walk in the May 2013 graduation ceremonies. Nominees for this award are students who have had significant, in-depth experiences as a student leader through voluntary service to the College for a period of at least two years in a variety of capacities as well as exhibiting solid academic achievement, good social standing and sound character. To nominate a student for this award, please complete and submit the attached nomination form AND provide a letter of support for those accomplishments that were achieved during his/her time at SUNY Cortland. Please note that all completed nominations for this award will automatically be considered for the Outstanding Student Leader Award. This award is determined by the President's Cabinet.
If you have any questions, please contact Mary Kate Boland, Assistant Director of Leadership and Community Development, at 753-2034 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION (SGA) AWARDS
If you have a student or colleague in mind that possesses traits such as responsibility, dedication, management/ organizational skills, commitment, and hard work, nominate them so that he/she can be recognized at this event! Self nominations are also encouraged.
Nominating an individual for a Student Government Association Leadership Award is simple. Email the Vice President of the Student Government Association (email@example.com) explaining why you feel the individual should be recognized and how their service and leadership meet the criteria of the award for which you are nominating the student. It is very important to be as detailed at possible so the committee is able to make the best decision. Descriptions of each Student Government Award are listed below.
Be sure to email your nominations as an attachment by 4pm on March 10, 2013. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the Student Government Awards by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outstanding Student Senator
- Shown to be a strong advocate for the student body.
- Volunteered time and effort towards student concerns.
- Involves in various committees and has reported back to senate regularly.
- Exhibited leadership qualities throughout the Student Government Association, distinguishing him/her above all others.
Outstanding Faculty Member
- Is well known by the student body as a result of his/her significant contribution to the campus as a whole.
- Committed his/herself to the students, supporting them in campus issues, events and academic endeavors.
Outstanding Administrator (Employees of the college who are not professors)
- Plays an essiesntal role in assisting, students, clubs, and organizations on campus.
- Devoted to resolving student issues and concerns.
- Is passionate about their role in helping to mold relationships between students and SUNY Cortland.
Outstanding Club or Organizations
- Planned various programs and or events that have educated the Cortland campus and community.
- Dedicated to enhancing the relationship between the college and the community through successful events and fundraisers.
- Has been instrumental in collaborating with other clubs/organizations on campus to serve in the best interest of the students.
Outstanding Student Clulb Member
- Exhibited a strong dedication to the club, involving him/herself in all programs and events.
- Participated in all aspects of the club, involving him/herself in all programs and events.
- Participated in all aspects of the club and its committees, provided feedback, and shaped the face of the club.
- Maintained good relations with the Student Government Association and other clubs.
** The above criteria are guidelines, not requirements, for you to consider when nominating a student. It is strongly recommended that nominees exhibit these qualities, but it is not necessary. **