Accounts Payable

NYS Travel Card Guidelines

The State of New York Travel Card Program (Travel Card) was created to provide employees with a mechanism to pay for travel expenses. It is intended to reduce the amount of employee out-of-pocket expenses when traveling on official State business. Because you will be making a financial commitment on behalf of the State University, you must strive to obtain best value for the University by following established travel policies and guidelines as appropriate.   Only the Cardholder's NYS State funded travel expenses are allowed on their card. A Traveler may not use this card to pay for anyone else's expenses.

Advantages to using the Travel Card include:

  • Charges are billed directly to the Campus.
  • The need for travel advances will be reduced.
  • The agency and State will be able to capture a true picture of travel expenses.
  • The travelers using the card will not need to carry large amounts of cash or use personal credit cards.
  • The program provides automatic business travel accident insurance when transportation is charged to the card. Please see the following link for details: Automatic Travel Accident Insurance Coverage


  • You must submit a Travel Authorization (TA) for every trip you take. The Travel Authorization must be approved by your supervisor and should be submitted approx. 4 weeks prior to the trip. In some instances, due to frequent travel needs, an employee or department may complete a “Blanket” Travel Authorization. Please contact Accounts Payable for details.
  • You may use the Travel Card to pay for travel expenses when you are in “Travel Status” on official State University business only. You may not use this credit card for personal charges. The State University and the Office of the State Comptroller may audit the use of your card and take appropriate action on any discrepancies or unauthorized charges. Any evidence that your card has been used fraudulently will require an investigation, after which disciplinary action may result. Fraudulent use may also result in criminal prosecution.

  • Allowable use of the Travel Card includes costs for:
    Commercial transportation
    Rental vehicle
    Meals (as detailed below)
    Registration/Conference fees
    Fuel (when not using personal vehicle)
    Miscellaneous business related expenses such as telephone calls and internet connections
    Telephone Charges (related to official State business)
    Unanticipated work supplies

  • The Travel Card should not be used for:
    Fuel for personal vehicle
    Food expenses for staff meetings and retreats
    Personal use of any kind
    Alcoholic beverages
    Incidentals on hotel bill (gym/spa charges, and movie rentals)
    Cash advances

Meals - Travel Cardholders may choose one of two options:

  • If cardholders choose to use the Travel Card to pay for meals, the allowance for meals, including gratuities should be limited to the actual cost up to the maximum Per Diem meal allowance based on the location of lodging. If meal costs charged to a Travel Card are less than the per diem meal allowance, the difference will be reimbursed to the traveler upon completion of their Travel Voucher (Conversely, if your meal costs exceed the per diem allowance then the difference must be paid back to the college). Itemized receipts for meal purchases are required.
  • Meals may be reimbursed on the Travel Voucher on a Per Diem basis based on location of lodging. If the traveler is opting to claim reimbursement at the full meal Per Diem meal allowance, then the travel card may not be used to purchase food and beverages.


  • ALL charges on the Travel Card must be supported by a Travel Voucher & State Travel Card Log and Travel Authorization.
  • The travel card billing period ends on the 22nd of each month
  • The original receipts for all items charged on the State travel card need to be submitted, with a corresponding Travel Voucher (AC 132) and Travel Card Log for each trip, and forwarded to the Accounts Payable before the end of the next Travel Card billing cycle (ex. Employees will receive bill on February 22rd, with charges to be reconciled by March 22nd).
               -Timely submission of all documentation will make this reconciliation process successful. 
               -This process helps to ensure there is no duplicate payment of expenses and that all expenses
                 related to one trip are accounted for.
  • As part of the monthly reconciliation and travel voucher submission, any charges that are unable to be offset against allowable costs/expenses per OSC/SUNY guidelines must be paid back to Cortland via check. The check should be made payable to “NYS Treasury” and sent to Accounts Payable together with the Travel Voucher & State Travel Card Reconciliation Form for that trip.


  • If your corporate travel card is lost or stolen, you must notify Citibank and Accounts Payable immediately.


  • If there is no activity on a card for 18 months or more, the cardholder’s credit limit will be reduced to $1.00. This limits the institution’s liability, but avoids premature cancelation of card.
                 -The cardholder will be notified via e-mail of credit limit reduction.
  • Cardholder must notify Accounts Payable when card usage is anticipated (so the credit limit can be increased).
  • Any card inactive for 24 months will be canceled
                 -Cardholder will be notified via e-mail to immediately destroy the Travel Card
  • It is the responsibility of the cardholder and/or their supervisor to promptly notify Accounts Payable when there is a change in cardholder information, card is lost or stolen, or when the Travel Card is no longer needed.
  • The State University may change the terms and conditions or its policies and procedures concerning use of this corporate travel credit card at any time and you must comply with these changes.