Process for Advisors
Advisor Responsibilities in the Permission to Transfer Credit Process
When advising a student in regards to completing a course at another institution, advisors should:
1) Discuss how the course will fit into the student's degree requirements on CAPP - major requirement? Concentration? GE?
2) Check the transfer equivalency charts to ensure that the proposed course will transfer appropriately. If the course is not listed on the charts, review the course description with the student to ensure a close match of learning outcomes. Then attach the course description to the form.
3) Sign the permission to transfer credit form, granting your approval for the student to enroll in the course.
* Advisors have the right to deny approval if they feel the course is not appropriate for the student or if the course description at the transfer institution does not closely match the Cortland course description.
4) Direct the student to drop off the form at the Advisement and Transition Office, Memorial Library, A-111, for final approval from the Transfer Credit Coordinator.
* If permission to transfer a course is denied, the Transfer Credit Coordinator will contact the student directly and explain why.
5) Direct the student to send a final transcript to the Registrar's Office once the course is complete. Completed permission forms will be forwarded to departments upon evaluation to be included in the advisor's folder. Students should review their updated CAPP to view the transfer course.