Bookmark and Share

Frequently Asked Questions

1. When will my credits be evaluated?

Once you have applied and been accepted, you must pay your admissions deposit.  Credits are evaluated after students have paid their deposit. 

2. How long does the credit evaluation take?

Once you pay your deposit, please allow two weeks for your credits to be evaluated, although it may be sooner.  If you are transferring from a four-year college or from out of state, additional time may be required to evaluate your credits.

You will receive a credit evaluation explaining how your credits transferred as well as access to view your CAPP online.  Your CAPP (Curriculum Advising and Planning Report) is an electronic checklist of all the courses you need to complete to graduate.  By viewing your CAPP, you can see how your transfer courses fulfill Cortland degree requirements. 

3.  I have an Associate's degree, and I do not see the classes on my CAPP in which I received a D.

Have you sent a final degree-bearing transcript?  The official transcript must state the degree earned - either AA or AS (or a bachelor's degree).  Credit is not granted for D grades for students with an Associate's of Applied Science (AAS) degree. Once a degree-bearing transcript has been received, your classes with D grades will be re-evaluated and added to your CAPP.  Usually there is some time required after classes are completed for the college to verify degree requirements and to award degrees - sometimes up to a month or more. 

4.  I plan to transfer a course I complete at Cortland back to my community college to complete my Associate's degree.  Can I then transfer my D grades in?

No.   While some students choose to transfer a Cortland course they complete in their first semester back to their previous college to earn a degree, this will not allow for re-evaluation of D grades.  Students may transfer D grades only if they have a completed AA/AS or bachelor's degree prior to their first semester of attendance at Cortland. 

5.  My classes from this semester are not on my CAPP.  Why?

In-progress courses will not appear on your CAPP.  Once the semester is complete, send a final, updated transcript that shows graded, completed courses.   Your CAPP report will then be updated to reflect the additional coursework. 

6.  Can I earn credit from AP or IB?

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) are programs in high schools that offer challenging courses with corresponding tests.  Students who obtain a high score on the test may earn college credit.  We require a 3 or higher on AP exams and a 4 or higher on IB exams to earn college credit.  Click here to see how AP and IB scores transfer to Cortland

7.  Can I earn credit for CLEP?

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a program offered by the College Board (the same organization that offers SAT and AP).  CLEP allows students to earn college credit by earning qualifying scores on a range of examinations.  While Cortland is not a CLEP testing site, we do grant credit for CLEP tests.   Cortland will grant credit for a score of 50 (out of 80) on the exams.  Credit for foreign language may require a higher score.  Click here to see how CLEP test scores transfer to Cortland. 

8.  I have AP, IB or CLEP credit.  It isn't showing up on my CAPP.

Most likely, we have not received the transcript.  You must request your official test scores to be sent directly to Cortland.  We will not accept credit off your high school transcript or previous institution's transcript.  See requesting transcripts for more information. 

9.  Will I transfer with junior status?

Students are considered juniors for both academic standing purposes and financial aid purposes once they have earned 56.5 credits or more.  If you transfer 56.5 or more acceptable credits, you will be considered a junior.  Junior status, however, does not guarantee graduation with an additional two years of coursework.  See question below. 

10.  How long will it take me to graduate?

This question is both simple and complex.  You must complete at least 45 credits at Cortland to receive a Cortland degree.   Typically, this means that you will be at Cortland for at least 3 full-time semesters.  You can count the number of "no"s on your CAPP to estimate how many courses you have yet to complete.  However, this may not be a completely accurate method.  For example, one "no" may represent 9 credits, or 3 classes.  And, one class may be able to fulfill more than one "no."  The best way to have an accurate graduation plan is to meet with your academic advisor in your department when you arrive to campus and develop a plan. 

In most instances, students entering SUNY Cortland with an A.A. or A.S. will be able to complete requirements for a bachelor's degree with an additional 60-64 credit hours of course work. Students pursuing professional degree programs, such as those leading to teacher certification, may need additional courses to fulfill requirements over and above the minimum needed to earn a Cortland bachelor's degree. 

Students who are changing programs of study and choosing an alternate major upon matriculation to Cortland may require additional coursework to meet the new major's degree requirements. 

To assure a clear articulation between programs at other institutions and specific majors at Cortland, students are encouraged to consult the Cortland undergraduate catalog and to complete only those courses at other institutions that will fulfill specific Cortland major/degree requirements.

11.  I took a course on a quarter-system.  How does that transfer?

SUNY Cortland has a credit-hour system. Credits completed at institutions with a quarter-hour system are converted according to College policy: one quarter hour equals two-thirds of a credit hour.

12.  My college used a unit system instead of a credit hour system.  How will my courses transfer?

Each college that uses a unit system for its coursework will usually provide in its college catalog or on its transcript key a formula for conversion to a credit hour system.  Cortland will honor the formula provided by your previous institution to calculate transfer credit. 

13. I took an online course.  Will that transfer?

Cortland will grant credit for online courses in the same manner as credit for traditional lecture-style courses.

14.  What is my foreign language requirement?

Your foreign language requirement will depend on your declared major and type of bachelor's degree you are pursuing (B.A., B.S., B.F.A. or B.S.Ed).  Bachelor's of Arts (BA) degrees require a higher level of foreign language proficiency.  

To review the foreign language requirements for specific programs, view Cortland's catalog.

15.  Can sign language fulfill my foreign language requirement?

American Sign Language will fulfill the foreign language requirement for only certain majors.  For a complete list of majors that will accept ASL, view Cortland's catalog (and scroll to bottom of page). 

16.  How will my military courses transfer?

Generally, military courses (such as basic training and other trainings) will earn elective credit.  Certain physical education or health credits may be awarded at the discretion of the associate deans.  Coursework that military personnel completed that was part of an accredited college or through CLEP will be evaluated according to our normal policies.