Students who are accepted and have paid their admissions deposit will be mailed Transfer Transition Seminar reservation information during the month of May. All programs occur the end of June through mid-July.
Your academic major determines the specific dates available to you.
Making a Reservation to attend a Transition Seminar
1. Determine which Transition Seminar date works best for you. Please see the PDF above for the sessions available for your major. There is no advantage to attending one session over another. Each session has limited enrollment and reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
2. Know whether you plan to have guests attend the Transition Seminar with you. You will be asked to input this information when you make your reservation.
3. Determine if you need to arrive on campus the evening before the Transition Seminar. If so, you may sign up for "Early Arrival" at $20 per person and arrive between 6:30 - 8 p.m. (Includes room only, no meals.) Please note that you can only arrive between 6:30 - 8 p.m.
4. Logon to myRedDragon, click on the Admissions tab and then located the "Admissions Important Links" box. In this box, select the Orientation tab and then select the menu link "New Student Orientation Sign Up".
5. The dates available for your major will appear and you will be prompted to complete the required fields to make your reservation for yourself and any guests attending with you. Select the red button at the bottom of the page when all information is complete.
6. Complete all fields with your billing information and select the red button at the bottom of the page to process payment. Your payment total will depend upon the number of your guests and whether you sign up for the early arrive option, combined with your fee of $70.
7. Once you sign up, print out the Orientation Receipt as this serves as your confirmation for the session you will be attending. You will also receive a confirmation email to your Cortland email account. Beginning in June, all official communication from SUNY Cortland will be to this email account. For assistance accessing your email account, contact the Information Resources Support Center at 607-753-2500.
8. Complete and return your Transfer Information Sheet, which helps us gather important details from you for course scheduling and academic planning. Please fill out the form as completely as possible, sign it and return it in the envelope enclosed with your program information.
Please complete the above steps by June 3, 2013. If you need to change your session date after you have signed up online, please call our office at 607-753-4727 to see if there is still space available in the session you are interested in attending.
The program fee for the Transition Seminar is $70 and covers the cost of activities, materials, faculty advisement, your SUNY Cortland Identification Card, meals and refreshments. If you choose to take advantage of the early arrival housing option the fee is $90.
What to expect during the Transfer Transition Seminar
We recognize transfer students have different needs than first-year students and our seminar will address those needs. SUNY Cortland has programs, policies and procedures that differ from your last institution, and this seminar gives us the opportunity to explain them to you. All incoming students attend one of our programs. Our program is built on providing you with strategies to be successful by helping you make a smooth transition. Through the Transition Seminar you will:
- Learn about campus resources
- Learn about your academic major
- Get a preview of campus life
- Learn about academic and campus policies
- Meet with a faculty advisor
- Set your class schedule
- Learn strategies for a great first semester
- Meet other new students
- Have fun!
What to bring with you
- The Transfer Transition Seminar Information Booklet you receive in the mail
- Your Orientation Receipt
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Unofficial transcripts and information about classes that you may be taking over the summer
- Your questions and concerns
- Energy and a positive attitude