Goals and Learning Outcomes
New Student Orientation is designed to introduce new SUNY Cortland students to the academic and co-curricular services and programs vital to their successful transition to the Cortland community. By exposing students to the key services and opportunities available to them, we hope to enable students to make well-informed choices and decisions. In collaboration with campus offices, the orientation program aims to provide a structured and holistic introduction to the collegiate environment for both families and students. Through programs offered, new students and their families will be informed about educational opportunities and responsibilities in and outside of the classroom.
New Student Orientation supports SUNY Cortland's mission of helping students begin to become "engaged citizens with a strong social conscience fostered by outstanding teaching, scholarship, and service."
The primary goals of the orientation program are as follows:
- Aid new students in making the transition from their previous environment to SUNY Cortland
- Acquaint new students and their families with the mission, programs, and services of the College
- Inform students of campus services and resources that will enhance their academic success and overall college experience
- Acquaint and educate students of their rights and responsibilities within the campus community
- Emphasize the importance of students being involved on campus and taking responsibility and initiative for their own growth and development
- Enhance students' understandings of strategies for success and begin to understand their own potential and challenges
- Provide students and their families the opportunity to interact with other students, faculty, and staff of SUNY Cortland
- Enable students to begin to feel connected to the SUNY Cortland community and feel confident and excited about their college choice