January Transition Seminar
Transition Seminars are designed to ensure a smooth transition to SUNY Cortland by helping you become acquainted with the SUNY Cortland campus, academic programs, and student services. You will meet other new transfer students as well as faculty and staff, participate in academic advising and register for classes. There are three options for the January Transition Seminar.
2013 Transition Seminar Dates
You must sign up through your myRedDragon account for one of the following options. (The Transition Seminar Reservation system will be available starting in mid-November.) Session dates are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Friday, January 11
8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
This program is designed to ease your transition to SUNY Cortland. The seminar includes information about policies, procedures and resources; valuable information packets; brunch; your student ID card; opportunities to meet other transfer students; and advisement and priority class registration.
January 11 Seminar Schedule (PDF)::Additional January 11 Program Details (PDF)
The program fee is $40. This option will appear in myRedDragon as J1.
There is also a concurrent parent/guest program with a program fee of $10.
NOTE: You must have paid your admissions deposit by December 12, 2012 in order to be invited to attend this date.
Tuesday, January 22
8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
This program is designed to ease your transition to SUNY Cortland. The seminar includes information about policies, procedures and resources; valuable information packets; lunch; your student ID card; opportunties to meet other transfer students; and advisement and class registration.
January 22 Seminar Schedule (PDF)::Additional January 22 Program Details (PDF)
The program fee is $40. This option will appear in myRedDragon as J2.
NOTE: This program is designed for students only. A concurrent parent/guest program is not offered.
Tuesday, January 22 - Open Advisement & Registration
12 p.m. (noon)
If you cannot participate in either of the full program options, you will register in the afternoon.
This option includes ONLY an overview of how to understand your transfer credit evaluation, advisement and registration.
There is no program fee for this option. This option will appear in myRedDragon as J3.
Making a Reservation
The reservation system will be available starting in mid-November. To complete the Orientation Session Reservation process you must:
1. Determine which program works best for you.
2. Logon to myRedDragon and follow these steps:
* Select the Admissions tab
* Locate the "Admissions Important Links" box
* Select the Orientation tab in the "Admissions Important Links"
* Click on the link "New Student Orientation Sign Up"
3. Complete the required fields to make your reservation, including selecting one of the three program options listed above. Then select the red button at the bottom of the page.
4. Enter your billing information in the appropriate fields on the left. Then select the red button at the bottom of the page to process payment. Your payment total will be $40 plus $10 per parent/guest attending for J1. Your payment total will be $40 if you are attending J2.
5. Once you sign up, print out the Orientation Receipt as this serves as your confirmation for the program you will be attending.
Please complete the above steps by December 21, 2012 to attend the January 11 program (J1) or January 11, 2013 to attend the January 22 programs (J2 or J3).
6. Complete a Transfer Information Sheet (included in your mailing materials), which will list all your colleges attended and most recent courses completed. This information will assist your academic advisor in class selection and registration. Return your completed form to Advisement and Transition by January 1, 2013.
7. Please note that you MUST submit your health forms and immunization requirements to Student Health Service as soon as possible. Submission of this material is in accordance with NYS Public Health Laws and could affect your registration status. (If you have questions about these forms or the requirements, please contact Student Health Service at 607-753-4811.)
8. Be sure that you have sent all official transcripts from previous colleges attended or college courses completed during high school as well as all test scores (AP, IB, CLEP) to SUNY Cortland, Admission's Office, P.O. Box 2000, Cortland, NY 13045.
The program fee for J1 or J2 (a complete Transition Seminar) is $40 and covers the cost of materials, staffing, your SUNY Cortland Identification Card, meals and refreshments. The parent/guest program fee for J1 is $10 per person and covers the cost of materials, meals and refreshments.
What to expect during the Transfer Transition Seminar (J1/J2)
All incoming students attend one of our programs. Our program is built on providing you with strategies to be successful by helping you make a smooth transition. Through the Transfer Transition program you will:
- Learn about campus resources
- Learn about your academic major
- Learn about academic and campus policies
- Meet with a faculty advisor
- Set your class schedule
- Learn strategies for a great first semester
- Meet other new students
What to bring with you
- Your Transition Seminar reservation confirmation
- Appropriate clothes and shoes for the weather
- Unofficial transcripts for any course work you are currently taking or for which we may not yet have a transcript
- Your completed health forms (if you have not already returned them to Health Services)
- Your questions and concerns