Orientation sessions occur mid-June through mid-July.
Your academic major determines the specific dates available (PDF).
There is limited enrollment for each session based on first-come, first-served.
Sign up to attend
You will receive a mailing in May. You can then sign up for a specific session through your myRedDragon. Complete ALL of these steps by June 1.
- Select the Admissions tab in myRedDragon.
- Locate the "Admissions Important Links" box. Select the Orientation tab.
- Select the menu link "New Student Orientation Sign Up".
- Complete all of the required fields and select the red button at the bottom.
- Complete and submit your Course Preference Form, which is used to register for fall semester classes. If you are expecting to receive college credit for courses taken in high school (AP, IB, courses offered through local college), please review specific information for First-Year Students with College Credit.
If you need to change your session date after you have signed up online, call our office at 607-753-4727 to see if there is still space available.
The program fee is $140. This includes:
- faculty advisement
- housing, including linens
- your SUNY Cortland Identification Card
- meals and refreshments
All incoming first-year students attend one of our programs. Our program is built on providing you with strategies to be successful by helping you make a smooth transition. Through the Orientation program you will:
- Learn about campus resources
- Learn about your academic major
- Get a preview of campus life
- Spend the night in one of our campus residence halls
- Learn about academic and campus policies
- Meet with a faculty advisor
- Set your class schedule
- Learn strategies for a great first semester
- Meet other new students
- Have fun!
Check-in is at 10 a.m. in Corey Union. (Directions to SUNY Cortland) The program will end about 2 p.m. on the second day. View a Sample Orientation Schedule (PDF).
What to bring
- Your Email Confirmation
- Alarm clock
- Toiletries and shower shoes
- Fan or umbrella (depending on weather)
- Comfortable clothes
- Sneakers/tennis shoes
- Any documentation about college or AP credits you expect to transfer to Cortland
- Your questions and concerns
- Energy and a positive attitude
Visit Frequently asked questions.