Students who are accepted and have paid their admissions deposit will be mailed Orientation reservation information during the month of May. All programs occur the end of June through mid-July.
Your academic major determines the specific dates available to you.
Making a Reservation
To complete the Orientation Session Reservation process you must:
1. Determine which orientation date works best for you. Please see the PDF above for sessions available for your major. There is no advantage to attending one session over another. Each session has limited enrollment and reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
2. Know which member(s) of your family (if any) plan to attend Orientation with you and whether they plan to stay in a campus residence hall. You will be asked to input this information when you make your reservation.
3. Logon to myRedDragon, click on the Admissions tab and then locate the "Admissions Important Links" box. In this box, select the Orientation tab and then select the menu link "New Student Orientation Sign Up".
4. The dates available for your major will appear and you will be prompted to complete the required fields to make your reservation for yourself and any guests attending with you. Press the red button at the bottom of the page when all required fields are completed.
5. Complete all of the required fields with your billing information and select the red button at the bottom of the page to process payment. Your payment total will depend upon the number and options of your guests combined with your fee of $140.
6. Once you sign up, print out the Orientation Receipt as this serves as your confirmation for the session you will be attending. You will also receive a confirmation email to your Cortland email account. Beginning in June, all official communication from SUNY Cortland will be to this email account. For assistance in accessing your email account, contact the Information Resources Support Center at 607-753-2500.
7. Complete and return your Course Preference Form, which is used to register for fall semester classes. Please fill out the form as completely as possible, sign it and return it in the envelope enclosed with your mailing. Instructions on completing the form can be found in the Course Selection Guide included with your Orientation mailing.
Please complete the above steps by June 3, 2013. If you need to change your session date after you have signed up online, please call our office at 607-753-4727 to see if there is still space available in the session you are interested in attending.
The program fee is $140 and covers the cost of activities, materials, faculty advisement, housing, your SUNY Cortland Identification Card, meals and refreshments.
What to expect during Orientation
All incoming first-year students attend one of our programs. Our program is built on providing you with strategies to be successful by helping you make a smooth transition. Through the Orientation program you will:
- Learn about campus resources
- Learn about your academic major
- Get a preview of campus life
- Spend the night in one of our campus residence halls
- Learn about academic and campus policies
- Meet with a faculty advisor
- Set your class schedule
- Learn strategies for a great first semester
- Meet other new students
- Have fun!
What to bring with you
- The Orientation Information Booklet you receive in the mail
- Your Orientation Receipt
- Alarm clock
- Fan or umbrella (depending on weather)
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Any documentation about college or AP credits you expect to transfer to Cortland
- Your questions and concerns
- Energy and a positive attitude