August Orientation and Transfer Transition Seminar
Orientations/Transition Seminars are designed to ensure a smooth transition to SUNY Cortland by providing you with information and connecting you with resources. There are two options for the August Orientation/Transfer Transition Seminar. You must sign up through your myRedDragon account for one of the following options.
Option 1: Program, Advisement and Registration (highly recommended)
This program is designed to ease your transition to SUNY Cortland. The seminar includes academic planning sessions, valuable information packets, dinner, your student ID card, advisement, and class registration.
- Begins at 4 p.m. on Thursday, August 21 in Corey Union.
- The program concludes by 8 p.m. on Thursday. Faculty advisement and course registration will occur on Friday, August 22. First-Year student advisement is at 11:15 a.m. Transfer student advisement is at 8 a.m.
- The program fee is $40.This option will appear in myRedDragon as F6 for first-year students and T5 for transfer students.
NOTE: This program is designed for students only. A concurrent parent/guest program is not offered in August.
Option 2: Advisement and Registration Only
If you cannot participate in the full program, you will register for classes on Friday morning.
- This option includes ONLY advisement and registration.
- There is no program fee.
- First-Year students report to the first floor lobby of Old Main at 11:15 a.m. on August 22. This option will appear in myRedDragon as F7 for first-year students.
- Transfer students report to the lobby of Sperry at 8 a.m. on August 22. This option will appear in myRedDragon as T6 for transfer students.
Making a Reservation
To complete the Orientation Session Reservation process you must:
1. Determine which program works best for you. (Option 1 is highly recommended.)
2. Logon to myRedDragon, select the Admissions Tab and then locate the "Admissions Important Links" box. In this box, select the Orientation tab and then select the menu link "New Student Orientation Sign Up".
3. The two program options will appear and you will be prompted to complete the required fields to make your reservation. Then select the red button at the bottom of the page.
4. Enter your billing information in the appropriate fields on the left. Then select the red button at the bottom of the page to process payment. Your payment total will be $40 if you are attending program Option 1 (F6 or T5).
5. You will receive an email confirmation to your SUNY Cortland email address.
6. Please note that you MUST submit your health forms and immunity requirements to Student Health Service as soon as possible. Submission of this material is in accordance with NYS Public Health Laws. If you have questions about these forms or the requirements, please contact Student Health Service at 607-753-4811.
7. Be sure that you have sent all official transcripts from previous colleges attended or college courses completed during high school as well as all test scores (AP, IB, CLEP) to SUNY Cortland, Registrar's Office, P.O. Box 200, Cortland, NY 13045.
Please complete the above steps by August 15, 2014.
The program fee for Option 1 is $40 and covers the cost of materials, staffing, your SUNY Cortland Identification Card and dinner.
What to expect during Orientation/Transfer Transition Seminar (Option 1)
All incoming students attend one of our programs. Our program is built on providing you with strategies to be successful by helping you make a smooth transition. Through the Orientation/Transfer Transition program you will:
- Learn about campus resources
- Learn about your academic major
- Learn about academic and campus policies
- Meet with a faculty advisor
- Set your class schedule
- Learn strategies for a great first semester
- Meet other new students
- Have fun!
What to bring with you
- Your program confirmation
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Any documentation about college or AP credits you expect to transfer to Cortland
- Unofficial transcripts and information about classes that you may have taken over the summer
- Your questions and concerns
- Energy and a positive attitude