Winners of SUNY Cortland’s fourth annual Study Abroad Photo and Video Contest were announced recently.
Presented by the College’s International Programs Office (IPO), the competition was open to all students who studied abroad through SUNY Cortland during the 2012-13 academic year.
The International Student Photo Contest, offered this year for the second time, is open to all international students studying at SUNY Cortland during the fall 2013 semester.
“Photos for both contests reflect social and/or cultural elements of the students’ experiences abroad and in the United States,” said Hugh Anderson, a study abroad advisor in the IPO.
The winning photos and videos are available for viewing on the International Programs Photo and Video Contest page.
German exchange student Friedrich Mahle won the top prize for his picture, “International Red Dragon Supporters.”
Students interested in submitting a photo or video for the next contest can visit the Photo and Video Contest page at cortland.edu/studyabroad/study-abroad/photo-contest.dot for details or contact the International Programs Office at email@example.com.
The photo contest winners are:
• David Dart, a SUNY Cortland senior inclusive special education major from Hubbardsville, N.Y., won First Place and a $100 award for “Hanging with the Kangaroos,” taken when he studied in the Australia Student Teaching Program during 2013.
• Andrea Tubbs, a SUNY Cortland adolescence education: Spanish major from Newfield, N.Y., received Second Place and a $75 award for “The Dump,” snapped while she was completing an independent internship in Zacapa, Guatemala during Summer 2013.
• Ryan Walker, a SUNY Cortland physical education major from Hampton Bays, N.Y., was presented Third Place and a $50 prize for “Insert Corny Joke Here,” captured when he studied at the Deutsche Sporthochschule during Spring 2013.
• Kyle McManus, a SUNY Cortland physical education major from Oakdale, N.Y., was named the Popular Vote winner with a $50 award for “Seize the Moment; Feel the Momentum.” He took the image when he studied at the Deutsche Sporthochschule during Spring 2013.
• The video contest winner, who earned a $100 prize, is Michael Rosenthal, a SUNY Cortland junior political science major from Cortland, N.Y., for his video titled “Costa Rica 2013,” produced when he studied in Costa Rica over the summer through the SUNY Brockport Program.
The international students photo contest winners are:
• Friedrich Mahle from Germany earned First Place and a $100 award for “International Red Dragon Supporters,” which he snapped as an exchange student in sport management at SUNY Cortland for the Fall 2013 semester.
David Dart's first prize photo caught a moment of relaxation with a kangaroo family.
• Christian Hergott from Germany earned Second Place and a $75 award for “Jumping Till The End,” which he photographed while studying as an exchange student in sport management at SUNY Cortland for the Fall 2013 semester.
• Neslihan Kucuk from Turkey earned Third Place and a $50 award for “Teamwork on the Ropes Course,” which he captured while pursuing a SUNY Cortland degree as part of the Turkish Dual Diploma Program.
• Andrew Ndirangu from Kenya won the Popular Vote and a $50 award for “I Will Smile,” taken while studying in the graduate International Sport Management Program at SUNY Cortland.