Lining the walls of the quiet fourth floor are individual, lockable study carrels. Please fill out the form below to apply for a carrel.
The Study Carrel Application is closed for the semester. It will re-open August 22, 2016.
- Study carrels are located on a designated quiet study floor. If the noise level in a carrel becomes too high or a complaint is made, a library representative will ask that the noise cease. If multiple complaints or situations occur, the study carrel occupant may lose their study carrel privileges, be asked to remove their belongings and return the key.
- Study carrels may be reserved at no cost on a first-come, first-served basis by students, faculty, and staff of SUNY Cortland.
- Students may reserve a carrel for a semester at a time but may have to share the carrel with one other student. Occupants should establish fair hours of use between themselves.
- Faculty and staff may reserve a study carrel for the entire academic year. Study carrels may be renewed for a maximum of five years.
- There is one daily-use carrel available that may be reserved for a three hour period.
- Library materials to be used in study carrels must be checked out through The Help Center at the front desk of Memorial Library.
- Occupants should refrain from using nails, tape, or otherwise attaching objects to study carrel walls, doors, or windows.
- Study carrel occupants are expected to observe the library hours of operation and vacate the building when the library closes.
- Neither Memorial Library nor SUNY Cortland can be held responsible for personal property left in study carrels.
- If a study carrel key is not returned within 15 days of the final overdue notice, the carrel will be considered abandoned. All personal items will be removed, labelled with the study carrel occupants name, and sent to the University Police Department lost and found. The lock will be replaced.
- After receiving email confirmation that a study carrel has been assigned, the key must be checked out at the front desk of the library. If the occupant does not check out the key within the first 2 weeks of the semester the carrel may be assigned to someone else.
- Keys must be returned or renewed at the end of each borrowing period (semester for students, year for faculty/staff).
- Occupants may not loan their keys or designate reservation of carrel to another faculty, student, or staff.
- If a study carrel key is not returned or renewed a $10.00 fine will be assessed.
- Memorial Library and SUNY Cortland reserve the right to inspect occupied study carrels at any time.