- Memorial Library is open to the general public. Print resources are accessible to all on the premises, however, electronic databases and PC and/or Mac Labs are restricted to SUNY Cortland students, faculty, and staff. Guests seeking access for research purposes should visit either the Reference Desk or The Help Center. See “Borrowing Privileges” below for more information.
- SUNY Cortland Network ID and password is required to use the library's computers.
- All borrowers must present their Cortland ID card or Community Borrower card in order to borrow materials.
- The Help Center front desk will hold books for 48 hours if a user does not have the proper identification.
- The general book loan period is three weeks for students and community borrowers; 120 days for faculty and staff.
- Overdue fines are item-dependent. See our separate fine policy for more detail. The loan period for reserve material is 2-hours in-house or 2-days depending on the item
- Material needed for reserve is subject to immediate recall.
- All material is subject to recall after the first loan period has ended.
- Renewals may be made in person, online or by phone at (607) 753-2500. Books may be renewed twice online BEFORE the due date, unless there is a recall from another patron. Overdue items are not renewable online. If a third renewal is requested, patrons must first bring the book in for inspection to ensure it is still in ones possession and is in good condition before a renewal will be granted.
- If a Cortland ID card is lost or stolen, contact ASC immediately. Users must also notify The Help Center of a lost or stolen Cortland ID card or community borrower card to avoid fines and/or charges for lost/damaged material.
- Lost materials will be billed at replacement cost, or $35 if out of print*, plus a non-refundable $15 processing fee per item. *Out of print book value will be determined by the Collection Development Coordinator and/or Subject Bibliographer. See Fines policy for more detail regarding replacement costs for all item categories.
- Students/faculty/staff/emeritus faculty of SUNY Cortland
-- Cortland ID card required.
- Open Access–Students: students/faculty/staff/emeritus faculty of other SUNY/CUNY colleges will be issued a Community Borrower card upon presentation of SUNY ID card + driver's license.
- Residents and high school students, 16 years of age or older, from the local community (see resident and school affinity outlined below) are eligible for a Community Borrowers Card. A Community Borrowers card will be issued upon presentation of a driver's license showing current local address and age
- Residents: Cortland, Tompkins, Onondaga, Madison, Chenango, Broome, Tioga, Cayuga Counties who are 16 years or older.
- High School Students: Cortland, DeRuyter, Dryden, Homer, McGraw, and Moravia High School students
- Memorial Library reserves the right to deny borrowing privileges to any student, staff, or faculty member.
- Borrowing maximums are as follows and do not include ILL requests:
- Faculty/Staff: 50 items
- Students: 25 items
Cortland College Students
- Student borrowing privileges will be suspended if the user has:
- 1 or more items overdue
- accumulated library charges of $0.50 or more
- Students will be placed on the College's stop list if library materials are not returned at the end of each semester, and/or fines totaling $10 or more
Cortland College Faculty/Staff/Emeritus Faculty
- Cortland faculty/staff/emeritus faculty may authorize in writing the use of their Cortland ID card to allow a specified second party to borrow library material for them. Ordinarily this privilege will be extended to one person and will be for a limited period, such as one semester. Faculty Authorization forms can be picked up at the The Help Center front desk or online.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the file.
- Faculty borrowing privileges will be suspended if the user:
- has 25 or more overdue items
- owes replacement costs for one or more items
Community Borrowers/Open Access/Alternative High School Students
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if the user has:
- 1 or more items overdue
- accumulated library charges of $.50 or more