Student: any person who attends or has attended SUNY Cortland, for the time period in which they were a student. Persons who are not officially enrolled for a particular term but who have a continuing relationship as a student with the College are considered students.
Education Records: any record (in handwriting, print, tapes, film, electronic, or other medium) maintained by and entrusted to SUNY Cortland or an agent of SUNY Cortland, which is directly related to a student EXCEPT:
- Records which are in the sole possession of the maker, used only as a personal memory aid and which are not accessible to any other person except a substitute.
- University Police records created and maintained by University Police for law enforcement purposes.
- Medical or psychological records maintained for diagnosis and treatment.
- Employee records of student employees.
- Information relating to an applicant who does not attend SUNY Cortland and alumni records about an individual who is no longer at SUNY Cortland.
School Official: School officials include SUNY System Administration, and other SUNY colleges who have been determined to have legitimate educational interests (i.e., necessary to fulfill her/his professional responsibility). A school official is employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff, a person or company with whom the College has contracted), a person serving on the Board of Trustees, or a student serving on an official committee such as a disciplinary or grievance committee or assisting another school official in performing her/his tasks.
A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official is performing a task related to the student's education, a task related to the discipline of the student, or providing a service or benefit relating to the student or the student's family such as health care, counseling, job placement, or financial aid.
Custodian of Record: An office or college official responsible for maintenance of records in furtherance of her/his duties.