FACULTY SENATE MINUTES #7
November 29, 2011
The seventh meeting of the Faculty Senate 2010-2011 was called to order by Chair Timothy Phillips on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM in Jacobus Lounge, Brockway Hall.
SENATORS AND MEMBERS PRESENT: T. Phillips, J. Hendrick, C. Schubert, W. Miller, D. Miller, R. Kendrick, J. Hartsock, B. Wodi, K. Polasek, O. White, R. Borden, T. Vigars, M. Chandler, E. McCabe, D. Berger, P. Schroeder, J. Piperato, J. Reardon, E. Durgin, E. Bitterbaum, M. Prus, G. Sharer, A. Fitz-Gibbon, S. Anderson, D. West
SENATORS AND MEMBERS ABSENT: R. Grantham, J. Alemzadeh, J. Walkuski, A. Dearie, J. Rayle, L. Lin, H. Lindh, K. Pristash, T. Slack, E. Owens, R. Franco, W. Shaut, P. Ducey, A. Kuiken, R. Spitzer, G. Clarke, M. Connell
GUESTS PRESENT: F. Pierce
I. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: The Minutes were approved from November 15, 2011.
II. SENATE ACTIONS:
There were no Senate actions.
III. CHAIR’S REPORT:
The Chair opened his report by reminding everyone this was the last meeting. The first meeting of the Spring will be on January 31, 2012 in the Park Center Hall of Fame Room. He also announced an e-mail from UUP that there will be a fundraiser for Liz Owens, who lost her house in a fire recently, in the Danby Fire Hall this Saturday, December 3, from 5:30 – 7:00 PM. All donations received in the UUP office by Thursday 4:00 will be delivered to the family at the benefit. Donations received after that will be sent separately.
IV. VICE CHAIR: J. Hendrick – The Vice Chair gave a brief report which is appended to the minutes (Appendix 1).
V. TREASURER’S REPORT R. Grantham – Chair Phillips reported in the absence of the Treasurer that she is still collecting Senate dues and encouraged payment of ten dollars since the fund balance is low.
VI. SECRETARY’S REPORT: No report (absent)
VII. PRESIDENT’S REPORT: The President gave a brief report.
VIII. STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
Student Affairs Committee - No report (absent)
Academic Faculty Affairs Committee – A. Fitz-Gibbon - No report.
Long-Range Planning Committee – No report (absent)
Educational Policy Committee – R. Spitzer – No report (absent)
Professional Affairs Committee –.G. Clarke – No report (absent)
IX. OTHER COMMITTEE REPORTS:
Committee on Teaching Effectiveness – No report (absent)
Committee on Teaching Awards - D. West, Chair – No report.
Committee on Committees – T. Phillips read Item #3 from the Committee on Committee report. The report is appended to the Minutes (Appendix 2).
College Research Committee – P. Ducey – No report (absent)
General Education Committee – A. Thomas – No report (absent)
Graduate Faculty Executive Committee – J. Alemzadeh – No report.
X. AREA SENATOR’S REPORTS: There were no Area Senator’s reports.
XI. SUNY SENATOR’S REPORT – D. Berger gave a brief report regarding the Conversations in the Disciplines Program posted on the SUNY UFS website at: . http://www.suny.edu/provost/academic_affairs/Conv_Disc_Pro.cfm. The program put aside $30,000 for the opportunity to stimulate Critical Thinking and he encouraged everyone to check out the website.
He announced that the University Faculty Senate publishes a Bulletin. He further stated that SUNY Cortland has an opportunity to publish something in it about our local campus and have it distributed to all campuses and Senators, in case anyone is interested.
XII. STUDENT SENATOR’S REPORTS: The students gave a brief report which is appended to the Minutes (Appendix 3)
XIII. OLD BUSINESS: There was no Old Business.
XIV. NEW BUSINESS: There was no New Business.
Announcements – There were no announcements.
The following reports are appended to the minutes in the order they were submitted:
(1) Vice Chair’s Report, submitted by J. Hendrick
(2) Committee on Committees Report, submitted by J. Barry, Chair
(3) Student Senator’s Report, submitted by J. Piperato
Vice Chair’s Report, submitted by J. Hendrick, Vice Chair
Vice Chair Report – November 29, 2011
1. The University Faculty Senate (UFS) has created a Shared Services page to their web site which contains copies of all resolutions, correspondence with Provost Lavallee and a Board of Trustees memo. It can be found from the www.SUNY.edu website or more specifically at: http://www.suny.edu/facultysenate/SharedServicesInformation.cfm
2. As I reported here in September, the UFS will be sponsoring a SUNY- and CUNY-wide undergraduate research and creative works symposium in Albany on February 29, 2011. The event is called Discovery: An Undergraduate Showcase. Chris McRoberts, as chair of the Undergraduate Research Council will be sending information out to our campus soon regarding the process for students to apply for opportunity to be one of our campus two (or maybe three) representatives. All area senators are encouraged to relay this information to faculty and students in their respective areas to be aware of this and encourage their students to apply. The deadline will likely be over break (or even earlier) so working with students now to prepare an abstract of the completed work may be beneficial. More information will be available on the URC website soon (http://www2.cortland.edu/academics/undergraduate/research/) .
Committee on Committee’s Report, submitted by J. Barry, Chair
Committee on Committees – Report to the Faculty Senate
November 29, 2011
Ballots were tallied for the Dean of Education search committee. The results were:
*Thom Hanford (26)
Hailey Ruoff (17)
The full search committee for the Dean, School of Education, is:
Four members elected by & from the academic faculty in the School:
- Brian Barrett (appointed by the Provost)
- Ed Caffarella
- Shufang Shi
- Orvil White
One member elected by & from academic faculty outside the School:
- Lorraine Melita
One member elected by & from the professional staff (within Academic Affairs):
- Thom Hanford
One member elected by & from the classified staff (within Academic Affairs):
- Pam Schroeder
One student member of the School (appointed by SGA):
- Rachel Pollard
HR representative (appointed by the President):
- Joanne Barry
A call for nominations has been issued for the Committee on Teaching Awards as follows:
- Representing School of Professional Studies (term 1/1/2012 through 12/31/2014) replacing R. Grantham
- Representing School of Education (term: Spring 2012 semester) replacing E. Kudela
Nomination deadline is 4:00 p.m., Monday, December 5, 2011. (no nominations have been received to date)
The committee has already received two nominations for the Chancellor’s Award. A fully representative committee is critical.
STUDENT SENATOR’S REPORT
Submitted by J. Piperato
December 3rd : Ugly Sweater Extravaganza in the Function room from 7-11PM . All are welcome! Students are $3 and Non-students, faculty, and staff are $5.
December 5th: Holiday Party in the function room from 6-9:30PM. All are welcome!!!