November 15, 2005

I. CALL TO ORDER: The 5th meeting of the Faculty Senate for 2005-2006 was called to order at 1:15 PM on November 15, 2005 in the Corey Union Exhibition Lounge by Chair Joseph Rayle.

SENATORS AND MEMBERS PRESENT: J. Rayle, M. King, S. Rayl, C. DeGouff,

D. Driscoll, D. Berger, P. Quaglio, R. Spitzer, D. West, K. Alwes, L. Anderson, J. Casciani, J. Governali, J. Hendrick, K. Rombach, S. Stratton, B. Griffen, D. Sidebottom, V. Marty, B. Tobin, D. Ritchie, S. VanEtten, J. Governali, P. Schroeder, N. Tirado, M. Gerty, M. K. Boland, E. Bitterbaum, E. Davis-Russell, R. Franco, J. Cottone, G. Clarke, D. Kreh

SENATORS AND MEMBERS ABSENT: G. Zarate, J. Sitterly, T. Phillips, W. Shaut,

P. Buckenmeyer

GUESTS PRESENT: G. Levine, N. Aumann, P. Koryzno, R. Olsson, M. Prus, D. Barclay, D. Margine, G. Avery


The Minutes from November 15 were approved as amended.


There was a motion to approve the State University of New York College at Cortland General Education Assessment Plan 2005/6 - 2007/8 submitted by D. Barclay, Chair, GE Committee. (Passed)


Chairman Rayle opened with a welcome to the Senate and expressed his pleasure at seeing everybody enjoying the nice fall weather. He reported that the Senate would be undertaking some business in the upcoming weeks regarding the administrative consultative search committees. Another item of business that Rayle announced he will be bringing forward soon is the statewide Senate for consideration.


No report.


No report.


The Treasurer reported that there is $1,303.07 in the checking account, along with $10.00 in dues just submitted, bringing the available amount to $1,313.07.


The President reported on International Week, with speakers and talks going on in Old Main, along with a demonstration on the variety of places one can go in the world. The upcoming Thursday, Acting Chancellor Ryan would be in attendance in the Exhibition Lounge from 3:30 to 4:30 to give a lecture on the view of SUNY as a system and its place in the world. He would also be discussing how aggressive SUNY can be in the global environment. Bitterbaum remarked that he had the pleasure of accompanying the Chancellor to the Ukraine, and then on to Moscow. The President considered Ryan to be a very interesting man and encouraged people to attend.

Bitterbaum next discussed the project on Main Street and activities going on there. He said, unfortunately, developers wouldn�t be able to complete it by February, but right now it is open, with late spring as the target date. He indicated that as soon as office space is completed the move will take place, where civic engagement and a variety of other things will be engaged in.

Reporting on Hallnet, the President indicated that he, Provost-Davis-Russell and Ginny Levine met with Paula Warnken and Dan Sidebottom and had a very fruitful discussion. The subject was also brought up at President�s Cabinet, with a more thorough discussion being undertaken at Cabinet that afternoon, and then the group will visit with student officers afterwards.

Donna Margine handed out a circular from the committee that has been meeting entitled the Energy Savings Committee. Tim Slack is chairing that committee, but the administration won�t make a decision until early January. Bitterbaum stated that it will be helpful to see if this would help, possibly offering us a savings from ten to fifteen thousand dollars a day. He also discussed a suggestion that was made regarding eliminating fall break. The President reported that we did not have fall break in the early 70�s and he explained the history that the break did not come into existence until the mid 70�s. There was a Power point presentation later by D. Margine explaining how this would affect the calendar in fall 2006.

D. Ritchie brought up a question regarding a request from a faculty member for a copy of the current SUNY Cortland 2005-2006 budget, saying "In the past we�ve had these budgets and have kept them at the library circulation desk so people could look at them," and asked if there was a possibility he could get a copy?

Bitterbaum responded that although right now the situation is nebulous he offered to put in a request that the information be provided to the library. He added that this will be a very aggressive budget and he is hopeful because of the BAP formula, as it relates to teacher education, saying "Hope springs eternal." The President stated that he thinks the signs look very good. He further reported that the Chancellor did go with Tom Egan, Chair of the SUNY Board of Trustees, to visit with the Governor, and Pataki was very positive about the budget. The SUNY Trustees, Bitterbaum reported, voted 11-1 in favor of the budget and that most editorials look positive, but, "We will wait and see what happens."

D. Berger asked a question about an issue related to money, "Last year we were talking about some salary increases, and one of them I thought was the $800 across the board increase, and I was just wondering, is that still alive?"

The President responded that the commitments the campus has promised are going to be honored.

Berger asked, "Do you have any indication of when?"

Bitterbaum responded that W. Shaut was very positive and that it was scheduled to happen sometime in the spring, perhaps in January or February. He indicated that Shaut had been very busy with Mary Murphy to get that lump sum because, "We�ve added additional colleagues," and indicated he would let the campus know some time in the future about that. The President also mentioned the DSI that would be issued in December, but also indicated that there are a number of things people will be getting and the memo will show everything.


There were no Vice President�s reports.


R. Spitzer asked about the Dragon�s Den in Old Main where he observed flyers for a Cortica Kickoff party at American Pie on November 11 from 5-8, advertising an "all you can drink special ." He asked, "I am assuming American Pie is not a recognized organization?"

M. K. Boland responded that it is a bar.

R. Spitzer replied, "Why is it that this advertising appeared on every table that I observed for a non-recognized group or business downtown; and secondly, why were these flyers still sitting on tables, not thrown out between Friday and Monday?"

R. Franco responded that he didn�t have an answer to either one of those questions and wasn�t

aware that the flyers were there, but he offered to check with ASC. He said, "I doubt if anyone gave permission, but it seems odd that after one or three days after the event they are still sitting there, unless there was so much on tables the cleaning staff became blind. I do know that with lots of organizations there are sanctions and they need to get permission, but maybe it was a matter of the staff just not paying attention." Franco ended by saying he would locate the flyer.

Spitzer indicated that he would be happy to share a couple of samples.

Bitterbaum commented that, in order to advertise, one has to get permission from the college. He also stated that we don�t let bars advertise, unless someone surreptitiously put them there. He also stated that he was sure that American Pie would deny knowing anything about it, but suggested someone from the administration could look into the matter.

Franco indicated that maybe they should "ask our resident experts?"

M. K. Boland stated that it was most likely a private party.

R. Franco said that he found it quite odd, frankly.

M. K. Boland discussed likely probabilities.

President Bitterbaum stressed that someone would have to secure permission to advertise here.

R. Franco asked if this is a group of our students over 21 who rented out the bar?

M. K. Boland responded, "Probably."

R. Franco said that, "As far as I know all you can drink specials are against the law so I am going to check into this with the city police."

Chairman Rayle asked, "Does that have the Cortland emblem on it?"

Franco responded that it has a dragon but could be a reproduction.

Bitterbaum replied, "Of course, you can take it off our web site."

Rayle asked if that would constitute a trademark infringement?

R. Franco said he didn�t think what they have on there is a trademark.

One of the students pointed out that Cortica was spelled wrong.

R. Franco said, "Dr. Spitzer, I will check into it."

K. Alwes indicated she didn�t want to get someone in trouble and thought it was something that had been sanctioned by the school and maybe someone just left them on the table.

Bitterbaum stated, "We are going to make sure this doesn�t happen again."

One of the students responded, "ASC employees don�t care."

Bitterbaum replied, "My guess is if I wanted to go down with 30 sheets of paper and left them on the tables nobody would pay attention."

Franco stated that this would certainly raise the awareness of part of the management down there at ASC and now maybe they would take a better look.

M. King remarked, "It would be commendable."

Rayl said, "I have a question. "What time does Thanksgiving break begin and what day?"

Franco replied, "Wednesday at 8 am."

Rayl responded that the reason she was inquiring is that her students ask if the dorms are closing at 4 pm on Tuesday.

One of the students responded that the dorms are closing at 4 PM on Tuesday but the students need special permission to stay later than that.

Rayl asked, "What is entailed in special permission. My class goes to 4:50 and I have students asking to be excused because the dorms are closing at 4:00?"

Franco responded that the student would be able to stay later because classes run later.

Rayl asked again, "What is entailed in special permission? Is there any pressure on them in not asking for special permission?"

Franco indicated one would most likely ask an RA, letting them know they have a class that goes after 4:00 PM so that they could make arrangements to stay later.

Rayl said, "This is a concern I (continue to) have because I think that it continues to send a mixed message that although classes are scheduled later, break begins at 8 on Wednesday morning, but they are told they need to get out by 4 PM on Tuesday, and we never get a definitive answer."

Franco said that he would talk to Mike Holland about that, saying, "You have a very legitimate point. I don�t think we want to encourage students to say overnight and party, but we don�t want to do anything to make students leave early and cut classes."

Rayl said, "The message with my first year students is that they have to leave by 4 and are very reticent to ask RA�s to stay. So I am asking my students that want to be excused from class because of that, I want to make sure."

D. Margine mentioned the schedule and that Cortland has a lot of courses that end later, putting some students in question. She said one could go to residential services and look at the list of those leaving after that particular hour and the accommodations that have been made, but for a number of students this may not apply.

Bitterbaum said that he felt there was a misunderstanding that we want to encourage students to stay and not miss classes, but if the class ends late, we also don�t them on the road at a later hour. He said he would talk to R. Franco about the situation.

The Provost indicated she raised the bus problem last year and encouraged students to leave early, and even sent a message to SGA at the time asking about the buses and schedule, or at least the possibility of having one of the buses leave late for students who have late classes.

M. K. Boland said, "We offered a late bus last year and had less than 5 students�We had to fund a bus for 5 students."

S. Rayl asked what the problem is if buses don�t leave until 5:00?

M. K. Boland indicated that the problem is the students wouldn�t get in until 1-2 am.

Rayl asked, "When is rush hour in NYC?"

Boland said the problem is not with traffic.

Rayl said she agrees that our students are not used to staying up past 10 o�clock.

Boland said the problem is that parents picking up students have to work the next day, and with students getting dropped off in convenience stores, gas stations and malls at 11 PM, parents who have to pick them up also have to work the following day.

Rayl asked, "But break begins at 8 o�clock on Wednesday morning?"

Franco said, "There are four buses sponsored by SGA to transport about 220 students, and we have them getting home every other imaginable way. Greyhound runs on Wednesday, Shortline runs on Wednesday, and these four buses only go to one part of New York City. The part these buses go to have public transportation on a regular basis, other students have to go to Buffalo, Utica, Albany, what have you, who would not have the advantage of another inexpensive mode of transport. I think SGA needs to look at, if in fact done historically, it is beginning to create problems for our students, then they need to weigh whether or not they should provide transportation at all, as opposed to subsidizing anything further, as they are doing. Even a fewer number of people on an added bus later. I hesitate to put a lot of pressure on SGA, trying to do something good, something reasonable for some students, it is difficult for them�as Mary Kate said, last year they tried to see, you can�t run a bus that costs $300 for 5-6 people and charge only 45 bucks, it is not an easy one to deal with. I know this has been this way for 5-6 years it has been in question. We all have to put in perspective, we are transporting a very small percentage of our students, there are other alternatives, not just private vehicles, or just sharing a ride, public transportation can be acquired as well. It costs probably 25 or 30 dollars more to take a Greyhound than take an SGA bus. I don�t know what the answer is, but it is available for people as well."

Rayl said, "My problem is when I get threatened from a parent, then it becomes my problem."

D. Berger indicated that for 30 years the campus has had the problem, although it was the first time heard Senate discuss it.

Rayle asked if anybody had an answer?

R. Franco said that years ago people were signing up in the Function Room to take buses home, and now people who sign up would be providing a great service. He also said maybe an entrepreneur might solve the problem.

Bitterbaum said that during Thanksgiving break people want to leave early, and since we offer classes through Tuesday night, students should have a right to be here. He felt it was wonderful that SGA is willing to help subsidize this serving our student body. He asked if anybody had thought of posting a ride board?

Boland said, "We started it but I don�t know if it was not promoted enough. We had it up at the beginning of the semester but only had a couple of names."

Bitterbaum said that it takes a new tradition, mentioned gas sharing, and that there are other alternatives.

Boland indicated that maybe it would be more successful if it was posted on the internet

Rayl felt that this was a good idea.

J. Rayle said, "All we can do is encourage to continue to explore, hopefully, some of those common solutions like the ride board.

Bitterbaum introduced the Power point Presentation, for informational only purposes only, as a possible scenario. {SEE APPENDIX 1} The President said afterwards that the administration needs to visit with the students and colleagues and make some changes and then come back and present it to the campus for consideration.

Alwes asked, "What about Hanukkah?"

Bitterbaum explained that Hanukkah is not an important religious holiday in the Jewish tradition.

Boland asked if they could start classes a week earlier and leave a week earlier

Margine indicated that the problem with that is that schools are meeting and until the public school calendars change, the calendars would have to agree to accommodate student teachers and graduate students.

Bitterbaum said they did consider the above possibility and superintendents have been invited to come visit the campus and share in the discussions, however, there is a state law that says that schools in New York can�t start before Labor Day, so the law would have to be changed. He also invited the students to make suggestions.

D. Berger said, "I think it is a good idea, but if I am not mistaken the coldest months are February and January, so are there any thoughts about starting later in the spring semester and then going to later in May?"

Bitterbaum responded, "We are having those discussions, those are academic, not an issue as much with schools, there are other considerations, so people are visiting."

R. Spitzer said that, regarding the summer students who work during the summer, they would miss some income opportunities in terms of the summer months if they stayed on campus a week later.

D. Ritchie asked if there was any thought to what Senator Berger said, since January and February are the coldest months, and re-arranging the winter session schedule.

Bitterbaum said they are looking into that and there is a possibility of putting winter session before summer session begins, since some schools already have that. There is a committee who will ask the Provost, deans and department chairs for their input so that everybody can be considered.

Bitterbaum explained, in the absence of W. Shaut, that there is a cost benefit ratio regarding winter session.

Olsson mentioned putting winter session in the second week of June so that students can still find jobs.

Bitterbaum said they could always close down in January and February and not return until March ,but that would not be possible. He said that they budgeted for the energy policy and thought they were being very liberal but then NYMO made a mistake. Right now the project is 5.4 million dollars with gas prices coming down. He said it could be a mild winter but we have to prepare for the worst and the administration is looking at every single scenario. He said they are brainstorming right now and leaving no stone unturned, possibly making some difficult decisions, academic as well. Bitterbaum stated that SUNY Cortland is number twelve in the nation producing school teachers which is very impressive and reinforces our tie with the school districts.

G. Clarke asked why some colleges start later than we do and finish earlier, and asked if we could possibly examine their schedules?

Bitterbaum responded that we could look at other college calendars.

M. Gerty said that Albany has several Jewish holidays off and maybe we could do that.

Bitterbaum said the administration will look into it. He indicated that several US senators are looking at excise taxes.

J. Cottone asked, as far as planning semester decisions, when this would be decided?

Bitterbaum stated that the decision would be made in January at the latest and that Margine wants to visit with students and colleagues first.

Alwes asked whether or not it was true what she had heard that they were reconsidering the 20 minutes between classes?

Bitterbaum said he would investigate the matter. He said, "If they can walk in 15 minutes at Binghamton and Albany I am sure we can�"

The President thanked Margine for her Powerpoint presentation and there was a hearty round of applause.


Long Range Planning Committee � No report.

Educational Policy Committee � J. Cottone reported that the EPC Committee has been working on a new proposal from the Writing Committee and they hope to have something by the end of the semester to bring back to the Faculty Senate for consideration.

Student Affairs Committee - No report.

Faculty Affairs Committee � No report.

College Research Committee � G. Clarke reported that the committee he serves on is working on a report and they will be bringing it back to the Senate at a later date.

General Education Committee � {SEE OLD BUSINESS}



Committee on Committees � No report.


D. Barclay introduced the GE Proposal which, he explained, is one of two reports the GE Committee is working on this semester. He explained that his committee is submitting it to the Faculty Senate for its endorsement and asking that the report go to the Provost so that they can meet the November deadline. The report describes the assessment procedures, and cycle, at Cortland for the next 3 years. Furthermore, Barclay reported, the process is already underway and he referred to the timetable in the report. He said they are following the assessment from the previous cycle to give an idea of the timelines at this point. This particular year, Barclay explained referring to the report, the items are outlined the ones his committee will be working with, whereas next year and the ones after are still in development. He said in some areas there are questions in terms of assessment and the GE Committee is working with the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment in developing this report.

Chairman Rayle explained that since this is a committee report on the floor for endorsement it didn�t need a second and he asked for any questions.

An unknown individual asked a question regarding instruments being reviewed for the next round, saying, "I have a question regarding instruments. You said the instruments are being reviewed for the next round, "Is Presentation Skills one of those areas where instruments are being produced?"

D. Barclay responded in the affirmative.

An unknown individual asked, "Based on two objectives there I don�t see where multiple choice questions will address outcomes."

A representative from the GE Committee responded, "On page four lists the schedule we are intending to follow and for all four areas that very closely being looked at. We are going to be working with faculty representation from different areas and explore different options, whether it be essays or presentation skills. "

R. Ollson said, "Just to add, in other areas in the first year are consistent with past policy giving the GE Committee guidance for moderate changes such as wording with essay, and we are explaining to the administration we don�t think they align with SUNY goals. There are four groups of faculty members, myself, Dean Prus, N. Allman, and we have been discussing that and we are going to a few of those areas of faculty that are teaching courses to help us appreciate those questions. The fall 2006 administration will issue a second document assessment, moving more into comparing our outcomes with national standardized instruments.

The GE Committee report was approved.

Barclay responded, "I would like to thank the Senate for its quick action on this."

The Chair thanked the GE Committee members for their work.

The next item of business was the Hallnet proposal. Chairman Rayle asked if there was anything additional Boland wanted to add?

Boland handed out an information sheet.

Rayle said, "Essentially the Steering Committee would like to wait until we have information resulting from ongoing conversations between the Student Government and President�s office, and we are not prepared to take any action at this time."

Boland agreed. She then stated that one side was a sheet from P. Warnken from the Student Senate meeting the previous year which explained the justification for raising the technology fee and the other side representing changes effected with Hallnet.

Rayle said, "We�ll take into consideration."


There was no new business.


There were no area senator�s reports.


Mary Kate Boland reported that there have been concerns regarding safety on campus and SGA is working with University Police to rectify the problem.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:15 PM

Respectively Submitted,

Barbara Kissel

Staff Assistant/

Recording Secretary

The following reports are appended to the Minutes in the order reported and submitted by Senators and other members.

(1) Proposed 2006-2007 Energy Savings Academic Calendar submitted by D. Margine

(2) State University of New York College at Cortland General Education Assessment Plan 2005/6 - 2007/8 submitted by D. Barclay, Chair, GE Committee.

(3) Hallnet Information Sheet and January 24, 2005 handout from Information Resources to the Student Government Association submitted by M. K. Boland.