Skip to Main Content
Skip to Secondary Navigation
Ceremony Instructions for Undergraduate Students
Prior to the Ceremony
- On Friday, May 16, students are strongly encouraged to attend Rehearsal.
- Make sure that your guests have their tickets (one per guest, will be scanned at the door). If you have more than four guests, direct all non-ticket holders to the Overflow Seating rooms.
- Make sure you have your cap, gown and tassel.
- Leave all personal belongings with your family or friends.
Arrive on Campus/Park Center
- Arrive in the Park Center Corey Gymnasium no later than one hour prior to your ceremony.
Arrive at 8:30 a.m. for Ceremony A (9:30 a.m.)
Arrive at 1:30 p.m. for Ceremony B (2:30 p.m.)
- Check-in with staff and receive your name card. You will provide this card to the name reader as you enter the stage. Provide an phonetic pronunciation and your e-mail address on the card, as instructed when you receive it.
- Remain in the gymnasium and line-up with your friends for the ceremony. We do not place students in alpha order or by degree, school or major. All student names will be read in the order they appear on stage when you hand the name reader your card. Specific instructions on lining up will be provided at Rehearsal on Friday, May 16. Student Line Marshals will be available in the gymnasium for assistance near the line numbers.
- At approximately 9:20 a.m. and 2:20 p.m., Student Line Marshals will begin to lead the students to the Arena. The processional into the Arena begins promptly at 9:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. Students will follow the faculty into the Arena.
- The marshals will turn to face you and guide you into the rows of seating. Please follow all instructions of the marshals. Programs will be available at your seats.
- Please do not sit until directed by the administrator on stage. The Platform Party is the last group to enter the Arena.
- Students graduating with honors will be acknowledged by group - cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude. Summa cum laude students will also be acknowledged when they cross the stage.
- All students will be confered their degree by School.
- Following the conferal, students will be escorted to the stage where their name will be read, along with their special person. Students graduating summa cum laude and or from an International country will also be acknowledged at this time.
- Two photographs of each student will be taken of students on the stage. A third photograph will be taken of the student with their diploma cover on the "off ramp". Photography of all students is provided by GradImages. Images will be sent to students following the ceremony.
- You will be then directed to your seat by Faculty and Student Line Marshals.
Recessional (Exiting the Ceremony)
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, the platform party and faculty will first exit the Arena. Student Line Marshals will then escort the students out moving from the front of the Arena to the back of the Arena.
- You will be led out of the Arena using the cross aisle in the middle of the Arena. You will not use the same aisles as you did when you entered.
- Plan to meet your guests after the recessional in the Gymnasium or a mutually agreed upon location. Do not break the line and head into the audience.