Sport Management Minor [SPMG] (Minor)
Sport Management Department
Jordan Kobritz, chair
Professional Studies Building, Room 1114
This minor is designed to be flexible enough to allow students majoring in other disciplines (e.g., economics, communications, pre-law, political science, exercise science, sport studies, coaching and recreation) to be able to reasonably combine this minor together with their major. The following are the requirements for a minor in sport management which total 19 credit hours.
- Acceptance into the minor is highly competitive and will be dependent on space availability and the candidate’s academic record and background. Application to the minor is limited and application does not guarantee admission.
- Students wishing to minor in sport management must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 to be considered.
- Students wishing to minor must submit a copy of their academic record, a personal resume and a personal statement explaining their interest in the minor relative to their professional career interests.
- A declaration of interest to minor does not guarantee acceptance for a student.
- MGT 250 - Principles of Management (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 175 - Introduction to Sport Management (1 cr. hr.)
- SPM 275 - Foundations of Sport Management (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 466 - Strategic Management of Sport Organizations (3 cr. hr.)
- EXS 345 - Sport and Society (3 cr. hr.)
- EXS 351 - Philosophy of Sport (3 cr. hr.)
- EXS 420 - History of Physical Activity and Sport in American Culture (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 410 - Ethics in Sport (3 cr. hr.) also listed as EXS 410
- SPM 330 - Sport Media Management (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 335 - Information Technology in Sport (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 360 - Sport Marketing (3 cr. hr.)
One course to be selected from the following list of courses (prerequisites may apply):
- ECO 366 - The Economics of Sport (3 cr. hr.)
- EXS 287 - Social Psychological Aspects of Physical Activity (3 cr. hr.)
- REC 402 - Management of Recreation Resources (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 227 - Stadium and Arena Management (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 255 - Sport Event Management (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 320 - Sport Entrepreneurship (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 373 - Sport Law and Organization (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 430 - Applied Sport Media Management (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 435 - Applied Information Technology in Sport (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 440 - International Sport Enterprise (3 cr. hr.)
- SPM 460 - Applied Sport Sales and Marketing (3 cr. hr.)