If you aspire to combine a passion for sport with a well-developed understanding of the complexities of the business enterprise, then the Sport Management Department at the State University of New York College at Cortland is ideal for you. This department will provide you with the formal educational foundation and the practical experiences necessary to gain access to a career in this extremely competitive industry.
The Sport Management Department, which is housed in the College's School of Professional Studies, is based on a theory-to-practice model of learning in which students are engaged in over 120 hours of field experience prior to their required senior internship. SUNY Cortland offers the only sport management major at the undergraduate level within the SUNY system of colleges and universities.
A department that actively promotes diversity and social justice, the Sport Management Department features special focuses on information technology and international sport. Located on Cortland's campus are the Sport Media and Technology Learning Center and the national training centers for sport-specific information technology companies such as Dartfish.
Internationally, the Sport Management Department has affiliations with colleges in England, Germany and Australia. The Cortland sport management faculty all have significant experience working in the sport industry, and they infuse their real-world knowledge into the classroom to proactively prepare students for careers in sport business.
There are currently more than 400 students in the undergraduate bachelor of science in sport management program at SUNY Cortland. Three graduate programs in sport management are offered: a master of science in sport management (both on campus and online) and a master of science in international sport management.
There is no debate that sport has become a dynamic growth industry with an annual valuation of more than $400 billion dollars in the United States and more than $600 billion dollars worldwide. The rate of speed, size and scope with which this industry has expanded to become a very interdependent and globalized economy has been almost unimaginable. The scope of the industry is greatly diversified and is expanding to incorporate new growth areas such as e-commerce and new technologies.
With a degree in sport management and the proper training and experience, students will be well prepared to enter the sport business industry in areas such as marketing, public relations, sales, facility management, information technology, law, media, event management, finance, economics and athletic management.
Soaring with the Jets
While thousands of spectators crowded along fences and filled the Stadium Complex stands hoping to catch the best glimpse of the New York Jets practices, SUNY Cortland students enjoyed an unabated bird’s eye view of the football action.
- Professor Plays Key Role in Historic Athletics Decision February 24, 2015
- Alumni Engagement Hosts ‘Doing Business in NYC’ February 24, 2015
- Spring Fling Act to Be Announced Tuesday February 23, 2015
- Residence Life Conference to Train Superheroes February 19, 2015
- College to Stage ‘The Glass Menagerie’ February 19, 2015
- Body Appreciation Week Events Planned February 19, 2015
- College Adds Online Certificate in Recreation February 13, 2015
- Spring 2015 Performing Arts Schedule Set February 10, 2015
- Student Life Center Grand Opening Planned February 10, 2015
- Interdisciplinary Series to Highlight ‘R/Evolution’ February 10, 2015
- Genetic Modified Crops is Feb. 11 Topic February 10, 2015
- Study Abroad Scholarships Presented February 10, 2015
- Students Get Ready to Relay for Life February 10, 2015
- Peter Perkins Named VP for Institutional Advancement February 10, 2015
- Gov. Cuomo’s Budget Explained February 10, 2015
The Sport Management Club at the State University of New York College at Cortland, which is comprised of sport management majors and minors, is the largest student-run club on campus. Supported by the Cortland Student Government Association, the Cortland Sport Management Club provides students with unique opportunities to work at and run sports-related events, travel on educational field trips to sports venues and gain additional valuable industry experience with their peers while learning and having fun.Read More About Sport Management Department Clubs