Fifteen senior physical education majors were recently honored by SUNY Cortland with Lenore K. Alway/Anthony P. Tesori Awards for their exceptional work in student teaching in New York state schools during the Spring 2013 semester.
Faculty members of the Physical Education Department selected nine women and six men for the recognition, and the students received certificates.
The Alway award, given to women, acknowledges the late Lenore K. Alway, the pioneering head of women’s physical education at the College from 1941 to 1965. The men’s award honors the late Anthony P. Tesori, a 1939 graduate who earned the College’s C-Club Hall of Fame Award for his achievements before and after graduation and gave the College many years of leadership in athletics and administration.
The Alway Award honorees and the schools or school districts where they completed their teaching for Spring 2013 are:
• Claire Moore of Cortland, N.Y., at the Elizabeth Ann Clune Montessori School in Ithaca, N.Y., and Fayetteville-Manlius (N.Y.) Senior High School.
• Elena Fallon of Cortland, N.Y., at Boynton Middle School and South Hill Elementary School, both in the Ithaca City School District.
• Amanda Porco of Wappingers Falls, N.Y., at Myers Corners School in Albany and the Roy C. Ketcham Senior High School in Wappingers Falls.
|A semester of student teaching in school classrooms helps this physical education major explore whether he has the capability and drive to work well with children.|
• Taylor Teal of Delmar, N.Y., at Roessleville School in the South Colonie Central School District and Albany (N.Y.) High School.
• Stephanie DiCapua of Cortland, N.Y., at Groton (N.Y.) Middle School and the State Street Intermediate School in the Skaneateles Central School District.
• Maggie McNamara of Cortland, N.Y., at Wheeler Elementary School of the Onondaga Central School District in Nedrow, N.Y., and Liverpool (N.Y.) High School.
• Gina Carlone of Nanuet, N.Y., at Washington Irving Intermediate School of the Tarrytown (N.Y.) Unified School District and the Yorktown High School in Yorktown Heights, N.Y.
• Suzanne Leslie of Ossining, N.Y., at Irvington (N.Y.) High School and Buchanan-Verplanck Elementary School in Buchanan, N.Y.
• Katrina Davenport of Franklinville, N.Y., at Franklinville Elementary School and Franklinville Junior Senior High School.
The Tesori Award honorees and the schools or school districts where they completed their teaching for Spring 2013 are:
• Alexander Garrett of Cortland, N.Y., at Queensbury (N.Y.) Elementary School and Hudson Falls (N.Y.) High School.
• Paul Myers of Fairport, N.Y., at Charles Caroll School No. 46 and Penfield High School, both in the Rochester (N.Y.) City School District.
• Eric Einbinder of Cherry Hill, N.J., at Chenango Bridge Elementary School in Binghamton, N.Y., and Whitney Point (N.Y.) High School.
• Scott Miele of Ossining, N.Y., at Oakside School in the Peekskill (N.Y.) City School District and Hendrick Hudson High School in Montrose, N.Y.
• Connor Tompkins of Ossining, N.Y., at Oakside School in the Peekskill (N.Y.) City School District and Walter Panas High School in Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.
• Kevin Yarnell of Minoa, N.Y., at Fayetteville (N.Y.) Elementary School in the Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District and Institute of Technology at Syracuse in the Syracuse (N.Y.) City School District.
For more information, contact the Physical Education Department at 607-753-5577.