Our mission is to prepare physical educators who will make a difference in their communities and the lives of their students.
Our outstanding faculty and a wide range of challenging study options are just two of the reasons why SUNY Cortland’s Physical Education Department is one of the best and most highly regarded in the nation. If you’re interested in becoming a physical education teacher, a coach or both, Cortland just may be the perfect choice.
The major encompasses courses on effective teaching and curriculum planning along with as broad a spectrum of sports and fitness activities as you can imagine. You’ll integrate physical education theory with hands-on practice utilizing a range of teaching styles as you complete 100 hours of fieldwork in addition to student teaching. A highlight of your education will be a two week camp at Raquette Lake, Cortland’s historic and stunningly beautiful wilderness retreat in the Adirondacks.
Cortland has one of the largest and most highly respected physical education teacher-education programs in the country. You’ll gain the skills, experience and credentials that pave your way to a rewarding career.
10,000 Strong. SUNY Cortland has the largest Physical Education Teacher Education program in the US and we want to keep our 10,000+ PE alumni connected and informed of what's going on with their fellow alumni, the current program, faculty, and students. Our first mission is to connect to 10% of our alumni through Facebook, LinkedIn or whatever social network. Can we do it? Yes we can...with your help! Spread the word and connect!.
Do you know any outstanding and successful Cortland PE alumni? Please email to brag about their accomplishments. If possible please forward any relevant web links and stories. Stay in touch with us on these SUNY Cortland PE Social Networking sites:
What parts of Sheena Asibey’s Cortland education have had the greatest impact? Professors that challenge her. Playing on a volleyball team that reached the NCAA tournament. Oh, and don’t overlook Chuck the Chicken.
- C-Club Hall of Fame to Induct Seven Members June 10, 2014
- Cortland 23rd in Final Directors' Cup Standings June 10, 2014
- Joe Cardarelli Named Men's Ice Hockey Head Coach June 10, 2014
- Commission Releases Cortaca Report June 06, 2014
- Carlos Medina '78 Leads SUNY Diversity Efforts May 22, 2014
- Alumni Association Names Distinguished Alumni May 21, 2014
- Volunteer Recruitment Workshop Planned May 21, 2014
- 5K Run/Walk Benefits Child Care Center May 21, 2014
- EMS Scholarship Named for Marley Barduhn May 21, 2014
- Upper Campus Operates on Partial Power May 21, 2014
- Professor’s Final Gift Continues Legacy May 13, 2014
- Sharon Steadman Earns Rozanne Brooks Award May 13, 2014
- Interim Finance and Management Staff Named May 13, 2014
- Stadium Complex to Host Historic Commencement May 13, 2014
- Fulbright Recipient is Bound for Ukraine May 13, 2014
Outdoor Education Center at Raquette Lake
Located in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains, SUNY Cortland’s educational facilities on Raquette Lake include the Antlers lodge, Kirby Camp and Huntington Memorial Camp, the only National Historic Landmark in the SUNY system. This unique learning environment is great for research activities, teacher workshops and high school classes.
- Physical Education [PEM]
- Physical Education: Concentration in Adapted Physical Education [PEM_ADPE]
- Physical Education: Concentration in Outdoor Adventure Education [PEM_OAE]
The Alliance of Physical Education Majors at SUNY Cortland promotes physical education as a vital discipline paramount to the total development of healthy individuals. APEM focuses on increasing knowledge, attitude and professionalism of the students and faculty within the major. It helps provide networks between students, state and national professional organizations, and physical education professionals in the field, provides information workshops, conferences and various other activities and programs to create a stronger community for those involved in the major and promote the goals of SUNY Cortland's Physical Education Program.Read More About Physical Education Department Clubs