The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- Physical Education Student Teachers Honored March 06, 2015
- Women’s History Month Theme is ‘Weaving’ March 06, 2015
- College Creates Online Physical Education Degree March 04, 2015
- Nominations Sought for Civic Engagement Awards March 02, 2015
- Sports Info Director Earns National Honors February 24, 2015
- ‘Topographies’ Explores Landscape Through Art February 24, 2015
- Professor to Discuss Giant Tortoise Conservation February 24, 2015
- Research Lab Named in Professor’s Memory February 24, 2015
- ‘R/Evolution’ Series Continues during March February 24, 2015
- SUNY Cortland to Honor Peter DiNardo ’68 February 24, 2015
- College to Launch Student Opinion Survey February 24, 2015
- ‘A Solar Home Companion’ Coming Feb. 28 February 24, 2015
- Ignite Challenge Invites Young Graduates February 24, 2015
- Development Sociologist to Discuss Farming February 24, 2015
- Hanson Place Men’s Chorale to Sing March 7 February 24, 2015