The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- Clinically Rich Approach Earns High Praise June 27, 2014
- Sorority’s Spirit Lives On, Decades After Fire June 27, 2014
- Eight Earn Chancellor’s Scholar-Athlete Awards June 18, 2014
- Marie Ponterio Honored by French Government June 10, 2014
- C-Club Hall of Fame to Induct Seven Members June 10, 2014
- Cortland 23rd in Final Directors' Cup Standings June 10, 2014
- Joe Cardarelli Named Men's Ice Hockey Head Coach June 10, 2014
- Commission Releases Cortaca Report June 06, 2014
- Carlos Medina '78 Leads SUNY Diversity Efforts May 22, 2014
- Alumni Association Names Distinguished Alumni May 21, 2014
- Volunteer Recruitment Workshop Planned May 21, 2014
- 5K Run/Walk Benefits Child Care Center May 21, 2014
- EMS Scholarship Named for Marley Barduhn May 21, 2014
- Upper Campus Operates on Partial Power May 21, 2014
- Professor’s Final Gift Continues Legacy May 13, 2014