The Literacy Education Program at SUNY Cortland prepares candidates to become specialists in the teaching of literacy. We foster the development of literacy specialists who are critical thinkers, reflective practitioners and possess the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure the literacy development of all learners.
The Master of Science in Education in Literacy is a revision of the Master of Science in Education - Reading program designed to meet changing requirements recently established by the New York State Board of Regents. The 33-36 credit-hour program provides candidates with the knowledge and experiences required to obtain NYS certification in the teaching of literacy (birth to grade 6) or the teaching of literacy (grades 5-12). Also, those wishing to obtain both certificates may do so by taking additional course work and field experiences.
Graduates of our program will be prepared to provide specialized literacy instruction and assessment across a variety of levels and settings.
• Literacy Resource Teacher
• Literacy Teacher/Coach
• Classroom Teacher
• Facilitator of Intervention Services
• Curriculum Specialist for school or district level
- College Celebrates Non-Traditional Students November 04, 2014
- College Hosts Assessment of Teacher Certification November 04, 2014
- Cemetery Project Renews Town-Gown Ties November 04, 2014
- ‘Freedom Writers’ Inspiration to Speak November 04, 2014
- Panel to Discuss Ebola Issues Nov. 13 November 04, 2014
- Second Fall Open House Set for Nov. 11 November 04, 2014
- Four Commencement Ceremonies Planned in 2015 November 04, 2014
- Climate Change in Africa to be Discussed November 04, 2014
- Take Back Cortaca Events Finalized November 04, 2014
- Recreation Conference Set for Nov. 6 and 7 November 03, 2014
- Diverse Outlook Among Future Educators is Topic November 03, 2014
- Alumna Makes Her Second $1 Million College Gift October 31, 2014
- Voices Sought for Inequality Discussion October 30, 2014
- Top Southeastern Conference Official to Speak October 28, 2014
- Belize Zoo Visitors Offer Oct. 28 Talk October 28, 2014