SUNY Cortland’s health program will prepare you for a variety of health professions or for admission into advanced degree programs. It is designed to help you develop the skills and background that employers and graduate schools seek.
Our graduates make their careers in a wide range of settings, including county health departments, hospitals and other health care facilities, community health organizations, corporate and private wellness facilities and environmental agencies.
If working in public schools interests you, a major in health education might be good for you. You can even student teach in Australia.
You may take courses abroad to partially fulfill your degree requirements. The University of North London, England, offers 15 credit hours and is open to second-semester sophomores, juniors and seniors. Internships are also available in Belize, Africa or Australia.
Our programs will support you in becoming a high quality health professional and a positive contributor to your community.
Certified Health Education Specialist
The National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) offers health education professionals the opportunity to reaffirm the skills and knowledge already obtained through their health science or health education degrees by becoming a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES).
The CHES test is offered twice yearly. The Health Department at the State University of New York College at Cortland recommends and encourages all health majors to research this national credentialing process to enhance their resumes and to show prospective employers their commitment to the health education profession
For further information, contact The National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, INC., 944 Marcon Boulevard, Suite 310, Allentown, PA 18103
“I’m a certified K-12 health teacher, but I wanted a broader view,” Amber Earl says about choosing SUNY Cortland to pursue a master’s degree in community health.Read More About Amber Earl
- Students Focus on Summer Study Abroad July 22, 2014
- Students to Start Fall Classes on Aug. 25 July 22, 2014
- College Teams Finish Strong at Corporate Challenge July 22, 2014
- Jets’ Downtown Touchdown Set for Wednesday July 21, 2014
- Jets Camp Not Just for Football Fans July 18, 2014
- Alum to Perform on David Letterman Show July 09, 2014
- Alumni Reunion Set for July 11 to 13 July 01, 2014
- College Names Director of Student Conduct July 01, 2014
- College Transitions to New Electronic Mail System July 01, 2014
- Jets to Land in Cortland July 23 June 30, 2014
- Clinically Rich Approach Earns High Praise June 27, 2014
- Sorority’s Spirit Lives On, Decades After Fire June 27, 2014
- Eight Earn Chancellor’s Scholar-Athlete Awards June 18, 2014
- Marie Ponterio Honored by French Government June 10, 2014
- C-Club Hall of Fame to Induct Seven Members June 10, 2014
- Community Health [CHEA]
- Community Health: Concentration in Allied Health [CHEA_ALLH]
- Community Health: Concentration in College Health Promotion and Prevention Services [CHEA_CHPP]
- Community Health: Concentration in Environmental Health [CHEA_ENVH]
- Community Health: Concentration in Health Care Administration and Planning [CHEA_ADMN]
- Community Health: Concentration in Health Communication [CHEA_HCOM]
- Community Health: Concentration in International Health [CHEA_INTH]
- Community Health: Concentration in Wellness and Health Promotion [CHEA_WELL]
- Health Education [HEC]
- Health Education: Concentration in College Health Promotion and Prevention Services [HEC_CHPP]
- Health Education: Concentration in Health Communication [HEC_HCOM]
- Health Education: Concentration in International Health [HEC_INTH]
- Health Education: Concentration in Wellness and Health Promotion [HEC_WELL]
- Human Service Studies [HUS]
The Eta Sigma Gamma Kappa chapter of the State University of New York College at Cortland takes great pride in being one of the first chapters established. We began in 1956 and have maintained an active chapter over the years with the support of dedicated faculty and student leadership.Read More About Health Department Clubs