Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Geography (7-12) [SST and GRY] (Dual Major)
This program in the Geography Department allows students who major in geography to qualify for certification to teach adolescence education in social studies (grades 7-12). It combines a major in geography with 57-63 credit hours in additional course work and professional teacher preparation.
- Junior high and high school teacher
- Teaching adolescence social studies
- Professional schools such as law or social work
- Government and non-profit agencies and organizations
(See Geography major)B. Professional Preparation: 57-63 credit hours
(Including additional social science courses)
- Select one course from GE-12: Science, Technology, Values and Society (3 cr. hr.)
- HLH 199 - Critical School Health Issues (2 cr. hr.)
- POL 100 - Introduction to American Government and Politics (3 cr. hr.)
- ECO 105 - Political Economy and Social Thought (3 cr. hr.) or
- ECO 110 - Principles of Macroeconomics (3 cr. hr.)
- GRY 120 - Cultural Geography (3 cr. hr.) or
- GRY 125 - Human Geography and Global Development (3 cr. hr.)
also select an additional geography course from the following:
- GRY 370 - Will the World Provide? A Research Experience for Students (3 cr. hr.) or
- GRY 480 - United States (3 cr. hr.) or
- GRY 481 - Geography of New York State (3 cr. hr.) or
- GRY 482 - The Geography of Latin America and the Caribbean (3 cr. hr.) or
- GRY 484 - Geography of Europe (3 cr. hr.) or
- GRY 485 - Africa, South of the Sahara (3 cr. hr.)
- HIS 100 - The World to 1500 (3 cr. hr.) and
- HIS 101 - The World Since 1500 (3 cr. hr.)
- HIS 110 - Western Civilization to 1715 (3 cr. hr.) and
- HIS 111 - Western Civilization since 1715 (3 cr. hr.)
- HIS 200 - The United States to 1877 (3 cr. hr.) and
- HIS 201 - The United States Since 1877 (3 cr. hr.)
Select three credit hours from:
- AED 310 - Writing in Social Studies (3 cr. hr.) or
- LIT 449 - Literacy in the Middle and Secondary School (3 cr. hr.) or
- LIT 549 - Literacy in the Middle and Secondary School (3 cr. hr.)
- PSY 350 - Psychology of Language (3 cr. hr.) or
- SHH 300 - Normal Language Development (3 cr. hr.)
Note : Transfer students with credit for PSY 232 or PSY 332 will be waived from the PSY?_101 requirement
- PSY 101 - Introductory Psychology (3 cr. hr.) and
- PSY 232 - Adolescent Psychology (3 cr. hr.)
- PSY 332 - Educational Psychology (3 cr. hr.)
- AED 300 - Introduction to Secondary Social Studies (1 cr. hr.)
Spring semester only. A 35-hour field requirement is attached to this course. Requires acceptance into the adolescence education: social studies (SST) major.
- AED 391 - Introduction to Adolescence Education (3 cr. hr.)
Fall semester only. A 25-hour field requirement is attached to this course.
- SPE 275 - Teaching Students with Disabilities in Adolescence Classrooms (3 cr. hr.)
To be eligible for student teaching, a student must have been accepted into adolescence education: social studies (7-12) as a major by the beginning of the second semester of the junior year and must have senior status, at or near 90 credit hours, with 24 credit hours in the academic social science major, which must be officially declared. A student must also have an overall grade point average of 2.5, a grade point average of 2.7 in the academic social science major, and a C or better in AED 300. No student who receives a grade below a C- in any introductory course in the academic social science major will be allowed to enter student teaching until the course has been retaken and a higher grade earned.
Student teaching is a capstone experience. Students who cannot graduate by the December following student teaching may not register for the AED 400, 401, 402 sequence.
- AED 301 - Pre-Practice Teaching Seminar (6 cr. hr.)
Fall semester only. A 40-hour field requirement is attached to this course and must be completed in the preceding spring semester.
Spring semester only. No other courses may be taken during the student teaching semester.
- AED 400 - Student Teaching I: Adolescence Education Social Studies (7 cr. hr.)
- AED 401 - Student Teaching II: Adolescence Education Social Studies (7 cr. hr.)
- AED 402 - Student Teaching Seminar (1 cr. hr.)