Whether you are interested in a career in international commerce, becoming a marketing and business geographics consultant or teaching geography to high school students, the Geography Department at SUNY Cortland can help you reach your goals.
The bachelor of arts program, with its foreign language requirement, prepares you for graduate school, international studies, international commerce and tourism development-related activities.
The bachelor of science program places a strong emphasis upon computer literacy and spatial analysis skills. The state-of-the-art Geographic Information Systems (GIS) computer lab will help you prepare for a career in business demographics and marketing analysis, environmental analysis or global trend analysis.
A dual major program will allow you to major in geography and qualify for certification to teach adolescence education in social studies (grades 7-12).
Geographic Information Systems
Students who major in Geography may choose a program leading to the award of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography or a Bachelor of Science degree in GIS. The Bachelor of Arts program in Geography includes a 13-hour foreign language requirement. The Bachelor of Science program in GIS incorporates a 13-hour sequence in computer techniques, environmental science, or demographics and business geographics in lieu of the foreign language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts.
- Student Life Center Ribbon to Be Cut March 10, 2015
- Woods Tea Co. to Perform March 28 March 09, 2015
- Students Offer Free Tax Prep Services March 09, 2015
- Physical Education Student Teachers Honored March 06, 2015
- Women’s History Month Theme is ‘Weaving’ March 06, 2015
- College Creates Online Physical Education Degree March 04, 2015
- Nominations Sought for Civic Engagement Awards March 02, 2015
- College Lands Big Sean for Spring Fling February 25, 2015
- Sports Info Director Earns National Honors February 24, 2015
- ‘Topographies’ Explores Landscape Through Art February 24, 2015
- Research Lab Named in Professor’s Memory February 24, 2015
- Professor to Discuss Giant Tortoise Conservation February 24, 2015
- ‘R/Evolution’ Series Continues during March February 24, 2015
- SUNY Cortland to Honor Peter DiNardo ’68 February 24, 2015
- College to Launch Student Opinion Survey February 24, 2015
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Geography (7-12) [SST and GRY]
- Geographic Information Systems [GIS]
- Geographic Information Systems Minor [GIS]
- Geography [GRY]
- Geography Minor [GRY]
- Geography: Concentration in Tourism Development [GRY/TOUR]
- Geography: Minor with an Emphasis in Tourism Development [TOUR]