Whether you are interested in a career in international commerce, becoming a marketing and business geographics consultant or teaching geography to high school students, the Geography Department at SUNY Cortland can help you reach your goals.
The bachelor of arts program, with its foreign language requirement, prepares you for graduate school, international studies, international commerce and tourism development-related activities.
The bachelor of science program places a strong emphasis upon computer literacy and spatial analysis skills. The state-of-the-art Geographic Information Systems (GIS) computer lab will help you prepare for a career in business demographics and marketing analysis, environmental analysis or global trend analysis.
A dual major program will allow you to major in geography and qualify for certification to teach adolescence education in social studies (grades 7-12).
Geographic Information Systems
Students who major in Geography may choose a program leading to the award of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography or a Bachelor of Science degree in GIS. The Bachelor of Arts program in Geography includes a 13-hour foreign language requirement. The Bachelor of Science program in GIS incorporates a 13-hour sequence in computer techniques, environmental science, or demographics and business geographics in lieu of the foreign language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts.
- Series Explores Culture, Technology, Sustainability September 09, 2014
- Cortland Again Ranked One of America’s Top Colleges September 09, 2014
- Gender Bender Science Talk Planned Sept. 18 September 09, 2014
- Second Language Educators Confer Sept. 27 September 09, 2014
- Media Executive Visiting SUNY Cortland for Residency September 09, 2014
- C-Club Induction Highlights Busy Sports Weekend September 09, 2014
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand to Host Forum at College September 02, 2014
- Bias on Campus Roundtable Planned September 01, 2014
- New Show Inaugurates Renovated Dowd Gallery September 01, 2014
- College to Go Red for Colors Day August 27, 2014
- College and Firm Partner on New Technologies August 26, 2014
- Speech, Hearing Center Expands Outreach August 26, 2014
- College Offers ‘Wellness’ Series for Campus, Community August 26, 2014
- President’s Opening Talk Underlines Success August 26, 2014
- SUNYAC Honors Student-Athletes for Academics August 26, 2014
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Geography (7-12) [SST and GRY]
- Geographic Information Systems [GIS]
- Geographic Information Systems Minor [GIS]
- Geography [GRY]
- Geography Minor [GRY]
- Geography: Concentration in Tourism Development [GRY/TOUR]
- Geography: Minor with an Emphasis in Tourism Development [TOUR]