Whether you are interested in a career in international commerce, becoming a marketing and business geographics consultant or teaching geography to high school students, the Geography Department at SUNY Cortland can help you reach your goals.
The bachelor of arts program, with its foreign language requirement, prepares you for graduate school, international studies, international commerce and tourism development-related activities.
The bachelor of science program places a strong emphasis upon computer literacy and spatial analysis skills. The state-of-the-art Geographic Information Systems (GIS) computer lab will help you prepare for a career in business demographics and marketing analysis, environmental analysis or global trend analysis.
A dual major program will allow you to major in geography and qualify for certification to teach adolescence education in social studies (grades 7-12).
Geographic Information Systems
Students who major in Geography may choose a program leading to the award of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography or a Bachelor of Science degree in GIS. The Bachelor of Arts program in Geography includes a 13-hour foreign language requirement. The Bachelor of Science program in GIS incorporates a 13-hour sequence in computer techniques, environmental science, or demographics and business geographics in lieu of the foreign language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts.
- Student, Coach to Speak on Veterans Day November 11, 2014
- President Urges Cortaca Cooperation November 11, 2014
- Philanthropy Week to Honor 'Giving Back' November 10, 2014
- ‘Take Back Cortaca’ to Air on WSUC November 07, 2014
- Take Back Cortaca Events Announced November 06, 2014
- College-Community Orchestra to Perform November 05, 2014
- Eastern European Style Music Offered Nov. 22 November 04, 2014
- College Celebrates Non-Traditional Students November 04, 2014
- College Hosts Assessment of Teacher Certification November 04, 2014
- Cemetery Project Renews Town-Gown Ties November 04, 2014
- ‘Freedom Writers’ Inspiration to Speak November 04, 2014
- Panel to Discuss Ebola Issues Nov. 13 November 04, 2014
- Second Fall Open House Set for Nov. 11 November 04, 2014
- Four Commencement Ceremonies Planned in 2015 November 04, 2014
- Climate Change in Africa to be Discussed November 04, 2014
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Geography (7-12) [SST and GRY]
- Geographic Information Systems [GIS]
- Geographic Information Systems Minor [GIS]
- Geography [GRY]
- Geography Minor [GRY]
- Geography: Concentration in Tourism Development [GRY/TOUR]
- Geography: Minor with an Emphasis in Tourism Development [TOUR]