Whether you are interested in a career in international commerce, becoming a marketing and business geographics consultant or teaching geography to high school students, the Geography Department at SUNY Cortland can help you reach your goals.
The bachelor of arts program, with its foreign language requirement, prepares you for graduate school, international studies, international commerce and tourism development-related activities.
The bachelor of science program places a strong emphasis upon computer literacy and spatial analysis skills. The state-of-the-art Geographic Information Systems (GIS) computer lab will help you prepare for a career in business demographics and marketing analysis, environmental analysis or global trend analysis.
A dual major program will allow you to major in geography and qualify for certification to teach adolescence education in social studies (grades 7-12).
Geographic Information Systems
Students who major in Geography may choose a program leading to the award of a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography or a Bachelor of Science degree in GIS. The Bachelor of Arts program in Geography includes a 13-hour foreign language requirement. The Bachelor of Science program in GIS incorporates a 13-hour sequence in computer techniques, environmental science, or demographics and business geographics in lieu of the foreign language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts.
- WSUC to Host Concert April 17, 2015
- Grad Shares TV Spotlight with Student April 16, 2015
- Honorary Degrees Recognize Two Former Campus Scholars April 15, 2015
- ‘New Social Darwinism’ is Topic April 23 April 14, 2015
- Honors Convocation Set for April 18 April 07, 2015
- Campus Plans HeartChase Event April 18 April 07, 2015
- Students Plan ‘Celebrate Sound’ 5K Run/walk April 07, 2015
- Musical ‘Legally Blonde’ Opens April 10 April 07, 2015
- Awareness Campaign Attacks Sexual Assault April 07, 2015
- Red Dragons Capture Pair of National Crowns April 07, 2015
- Course Promotes Innovative Approaches for Community Needs April 07, 2015
- Transformations Set for April 17 April 07, 2015
- Poet to Discuss Disability and Aesthetics April 07, 2015
- Annual Admissions Open House Set for April 11 April 07, 2015
- Div. III Week Celebrates All Abilities April 06, 2015
- Dual Major in Adolescence Education: Social Studies and Geography (7-12) [SST and GRY]
- Geographic Information Systems [GIS]
- Geographic Information Systems Minor [GIS]
- Geography [GRY]
- Geography Minor [GRY]
- Geography: Concentration in Tourism Development [GRY/TOUR]
- Geography: Minor with an Emphasis in Tourism Development [TOUR]