M. A. Thesis Submission Guidelines
SUNY Cortland Memorial Library serves as a liaison between the author of the thesis and the bindery. The College maintains a collection of theses written by its students to preserve the scholarship of SUNY Cortland.
Requirements for Copies
The College requires 3 paper copies (2 of which will need to be bound) and 1 digital copy of the thesis, as follows:
- 2 for the library (1 for binding and 1 digital copy)
- 1 for the department (a bound copy)
- 1 for the advisor (a permanent copy for your advisement file)
Digital copies should be in either WORD or PDF format and can be submitted via email or on a flash-drive. Bindery contact information is below.
A signed “Permission to Copy” release form should also be submitted.
For best binding quality, margins should be set at 1.25” and text should be printed on good quality 25% cotton bond, acid free paper.
Each bound copy needs to be collated in this order:
- blank sheet of paper
- title page
- signature page
- The signature page will be signed by the thesis advisor and the MA coordinator before the thesis is dropped off at the library for binding.
- blank page
- text of the thesis
It is the student’s responsibility to deliver the thesis to the library for binding. Theses are bound as received. Neither the Library nor the Bindery proofread submissions.
- Each thesis is $19.75 per copy.
- Price is determined by the bindery and is subject to change. To confirm charges, contact the Bindery Clerk, Sara Sampson, at 607-753-2600.
- Payment by check is due at the time of binding. Make checks payable to SUNY Cortland Memorial Library.
Additional Information: An author can submit additional copies to be bound for personal distribution. Theses are bound in black buckram with gold lettering. The title is printed on the front cover and the author’s name appears vertically on the spine.
Turn-around time: Bindery runs on a 4-week schedule, meaning bindery items are shipped in bulk once every month. The Bindery Clerk will notify all authors when theses have been returned from bindery. It is the author’s responsibility to pick up and distribute theses upon return from bindery.
Master’s Thesis Cover Sheet
The unbound copy for your advisement file should include a cover sheet with the following information:
Title of Your Thesis
Name of Thesis Supervisor
Submission of Thesis Date