Department Information

Ann Blanton
Professional Studies Building
Main office: Room 2201
Cortland, NY 13045
Phone: 607-753-5423
Fax: 607-753-5940

Bookmark and Share

Academic Program Requirements

General Education Requirement

The NEW Cortland General Education Program fulfills all SUNY General Education requirements and includes additional elements specific to the Cortland degree. Students will take one course in each of the learning outcome categories (listed on the link below) with the exception of (Category 2) Natural Sciences in which they must take two courses, (Category 9) Foreign Language where the requirement depends on degree program, and (Category 10) Basic Communication in which they must complete both academic writing and presentation skills areas. Double counting, or the use of a single course to satisfy more than one category, is allowed but is subject to the following limitations: (a) no course used by an individual student to satisfy the humanities category may be used to satisfy another subject category, and (b) no single course may in any case be used to satisfy more than two General Education categories.

  1. Quantitative Skills
  2. Natural Sciences (TWO course requirement)
  3. Social Sciences Academic Writing and Presentation Skills
  4. United States History and Society
  5. Western Civilization
  6. Contrasting Cultures
  7. Humanities (second science course)
  8. The Arts
  9. Foreign Language (refer to degree program)
  10. Basic Communication:
  11. Prejudice and Discrimination
  12. Science, Technology, Values and Society
  13. Natural Science

Writing Requirement And Presentation Skills

The College requires satisfactory completion of composition courses (CPN 100: Academic Writing I, CPN 101: Academic Writing II) and two courses identified as writing intensive (WI). WI courses are defined as those in which two essays totaling no fewer than 2,500 words are required. One WI course must be in your major and one course can be outside of your major. WI courses may not be taken at another institution. Presentation skills (PS) are required to fulfill the SUNY GE 10. All students must take one presentation skills course as a requirement for graduation.

Foreign Language Requirement

As a student in this program, you must achieve intermediate proficiency in a foreign language (through the second year of college study). If you choose to begin a new foreign language at Cortland, you will then take four semesters of that language (101, 102, 201, 202). If you choose to continue your study in a foreign language begun in high school, you should register for the appropriate level, according to the results of your placement test or the foreign language chart.

Quantitative Skills Requirement

Completion of a quantitative skills course is required by the college. Most graduate schools in speech pathology or audiology expect you to complete college algebra, pre-calculus or statistics.

Grade Point Average (G.P.A) Requirements for Majors

Students wishing to major in Communication Disorders and Sciences (either SLD, the certification program, or SHS, the non-certification program) who enter as Freshmen should indicate their choice by declaring SLD or SHS. These students will receive advisement within the department and may begin taking courses in the major at any point after the completion of at least 12 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 2.70 or better.Transfer students below junior level will also follow this process. Transfer students with Junior level status will be allowed to declare the major(s) upon admission. This will allow them to retain eligibility for financial aid. They will be advised into the Department's entry level courses. They will be expected to achieve an overall G.P.A. of 2.70 and a 2.70 in the Communication Disorders and Sciences courses to continue taking courses in the major. Once accepted as a major, students must maintain a G.P.A. of 2.70 both overall and within major courses for the SLD and SHS majors. Students who do not maintain these averages will not be allowed to continue taking the next level courses. If they wish, they may continue to be identified by our major code(s) but will not be allowed to continue in the sequence until the G.P.A. reaches the required level. Retakes of courses are permitted during this period.

Child Abuse and Save Workshops

All individuals applying for New York State Teaching Certification must complete workshops on child abuse and maltreatment and school violence prevention (Safe Schools Against Violence in Education — SAVE). If you complete the workshops at SUNY Cortland, they will appear on your college transcript. If you complete them anywhere else, you are responsible for submitting documentation to the State. You can check the dates and sign up for the workshops at the Center for Educational Exchange. Typically, students take these workshops during their junior or senior year. There are fees for the workshops that cover materials.

Student Teaching

All freshmen students who enter the teacher certification major will take EDU 488 Student Teaching. Those students who are transfer students will be on different program tracks depending upon when they entered the program. They should consult immediately with their advisor about the appropriate student teaching course for them.

Student teaching will occur in the last semester of the senior year. Students will work full time with a speech-language pathologist in a school setting for the entire semester. In the past, the majority of our student teaching placements have been within a 50-mile radius of Cortland. The number of placements within this radius depends upon the school districts, the willingness of speech-language pathologists to take student teachers, and the qualifications of the speech-langage pathologists. No guarantees can be made regarding student teaching placements.

Several things you should keep in mind are

  1. We try to place all student teachers with speech/language pathologists who have the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the American Speech - Language - Hearing Association (ASHA). This will enable you to transfer some practicum hours from student teaching to graduate school. At least one of the two palcements must be in a high-needs school.
  2. You will need transportation because you will likely be in a town or city without public transportation. In addition, speech-language pathologists may work in more than one school building within a district, making travel during the school day necessary.
  3. The number of placements in the local area is extremely limited. This means that many student teachers may need to travel up to 45-60 minutes one-way from Cortland for their student teaching experience.
  4. It is possible that you may not be able to live in Cortland during student teaching.
  5. You must be prepared to be flexible. For example, if you do not have transportation, you should be willing to be placed in a location that can accommodate your transportation needs.
  6. Student teaching is the equivalent of a full-time job and any activities that might interfere are prohibited. No courses can be taken during student teaching.
  7. Consent of the department is required for student teaching. Students are required to have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.70, a G.P.A. in SHH courses of 2.70 and pass the SPAA Competency Exam. College regulations prohibit a student who is on probation from student teaching

Clinical Practicum

Teacher Certification (speech and language disabilities — SLD) are required to take four credits of Clinical Practicum: SHH 480 and SHH 481. Non-certification majors (speech and hearing science — SHS) majors are required to take SHH 480. Your first practicum experience will occur after the completion of SHH 480. The setting for your practicum experience(s) will most likely be the Center for Speech and Hearing Disorders. There are also some outside placements available close to the campus. During SHH 481, you will be responsible for providing therapy services to child(ren) and/or adult(s) with communication disorders under the supervision of a clinically-certified faculty member.