Study chemistry at SUNY Cortland and you get the best of several worlds — a first-rate curriculum, small classes led by a young and energetic faculty and opportunities to become involved in research as early as your freshman year.
One of the best ways to learn chemistry is by doing chemistry, in a lab, side-by-side with a faculty member, using the same sophisticated tools that professional scientists use. That’s why student research is a signature strength of our chemistry program.
Nanotechnology, polymer chemistry, chemical biology and organic synthesis, groundwater contamination and molecular synthesis are just some of the areas student researchers have explored in recent years.
A Cortland chemistry degree opens many doors to your future. Our chemistry majors are engaged in rewarding careers in research, business and industry. They are readily accepted to medical schools or to graduate programs in chemistry and other fields.
Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship Program
The fellowships provide an opportunity for undergraduate students and their faculty mentors to engage in eight weeks of full-time scholarly activity during the summer of 2013. The fellowships are intended to support student's original research projects, not for merely being a research assistant on a faculty member's research project.
- College Teams Finish Strong at Corporate Challenge July 22, 2014
- Jets’ Downtown Touchdown Set for Wednesday July 21, 2014
- Jets Camp Not Just for Football Fans July 18, 2014
- Alum to Perform on David Letterman Show July 09, 2014
- Alumni Reunion Set for July 11 to 13 July 01, 2014
- College Names Director of Student Conduct July 01, 2014
- College Transitions to New Electronic Mail System July 01, 2014
- Jets to Land in Cortland July 23 June 30, 2014
- Clinically Rich Approach Earns High Praise June 27, 2014
- Sorority’s Spirit Lives On, Decades After Fire June 27, 2014
- Eight Earn Chancellor’s Scholar-Athlete Awards June 18, 2014
- Marie Ponterio Honored by French Government June 10, 2014
- C-Club Hall of Fame to Induct Seven Members June 10, 2014
- Cortland 23rd in Final Directors' Cup Standings June 10, 2014
- Joe Cardarelli Named Men's Ice Hockey Head Coach June 10, 2014
- Adolescence Education: Chemistry (7-12) [ACM]
- Biochemistry [BCH]
- Chemistry [CHM]
- Chemistry leading to the 3 + 2 Engineering Program [CEN]
- Chemistry Minor [CHE]
- Chemistry: Concentration in Environmental Science [CHM/ENVS]
The Chemistry Department has a student affiliate chapter of the American Chemical Society (Chem Club). This club, which is partially funded by student activity fees, provides a focus for students in all areas of chemistry to study together, to obtain tutoring services and to socialize. A special Chem Club office provides working areas and a place for joining in the clubs activities. Chem Club sponsors visiting speakers and each year takes a major trip to a scientific meeting or to a site of interest to the club members.Read More About Chemistry Department Clubs