Frequently Asked Questions

Q: During what year can I apply for the Noyce Scholarship?

A: Sophomores and Juniors in college who meet the criteria can apply for the Noyce Scholarship for their Junior or Senior year. Graduate students can apply to receive one year of stipend.

Q: How do I submit reference letters? Should I send the sealed reference letters with my application papers, transcripts or should I request the people who are writing the reference letters to mail them directly to Noyce Scholarship program?

A: Reference letters should be sealed with writer's initials on seal. They can be either included in application packet or sent individually to the Noyce Project.

Q: I am thinking about applying to the Masters in Arts in Teaching (MAT) program at SUNY Cortland. Should I wait to get accepted, or can I apply now for the Noyce Scholarship?

A: Applicants do not need to be a part of a program to apply for the scholarship. Funds are distributed once the student begins a graduate program, either Masters in Arts in Teaching (MAT) or Masters in Education (MsEd) program. This is also true for undergraduate students interested in transferring to SUNY Cortland.

Q: I am a current Noyce Scholar and would like to re-apply next year. Do I have to submit an entire new application with new letters of recommendation?

A: When reapplying, a new application and new letters are not required; however the student may submit new material (e.g., new statement of purpose or reference letters) if they would like. Some past awardees of year-two scholarships have submitted new applications, or added new letters of reference to their previous applications, while others did not.

Q: What happens if I do not teach in an underprivileged school and fulfill the requirement?

A: In order to fulfill the scholarship obligation, Noyce Scholarship recipients must teach in a qualified district.

Q: Is there a list of schools that qualify?

A: Please visit Current Scholar Resources for NYS Report Cards and directions on obtaining a list of schools that qualify in NYS, or contact the Noyce Project Coordinator at

Q: What if I do not get hired at a school or cannot find an opening?

A: Scholarship recipients have six years to fulfill the teaching requirement. In some instances it is understood the requirement may not be met. In this instance: 1) The scholarship amount could be paid back plus a 5% fixed annual interest rate; or 2) The scholarship committee would review the case to determine whether sufficient attempts at meeting the obligations were made. 

Q: How many years do I need to teach in a high-need school district?

A: For every year of scholarship received, the recipient will teach in a high-need school district for two years.

Q: Will I be placed in a particular school or location?

A: No, the Noyce Scholar is not placed. While it must be in a high-need district, the Scholar is free to choose in what location he/she applies for positions. The Noyce Project Coordinator can help the Scholar determine if the school is high-need.

Q: Do I have to teach in NYS?

A: While there is a big demand in NYS for the best science and math teachers, Noyce Scholars can teach in any qualified school throughout the United States. The project coordinator can assist in determining if the school district qualifies.

Q: I currently receive the TEACH Grant. Can I receive this scholarship in conjunction with that, or would I have to cancel the TEACH?

A: Yes, recipients may receive the Noyce Scholarship along with any other grant they may be receiving, including the TEACH Grant.

Q: If I have an undergraduate Adolescence Education degree and wanted to complete my Masters at Cortland, would I qualify for this scholarship?  I will NOT be entering into the MAT program, but I will be entering into a program that would enhance my teaching ability.

A: Yes, students with STEM undergraduate degrees who plan to complete a Masters program at Cortland and intend on teaching qualify to receive a scholarship. Applicants for Masters programs are eligible to receive one year of scholarship money and are expected to teach for two years in a high-need rural or urban school district.

Q: I am a transfer student so my transcript GPA says I have a 0.00. Should I send my transcript from the school from which I transferred?

A: Yes, copies of transcripts from all previous schools are necessary. For the application it can be a copy(ies) of the original(s).

Q: When will I find out if I was chosen to receive the scholarship?

A: Applications will be reviewed and determinations will be made in May. Letters will be sent to all applicants' permanent addresses at the end of May.