Gallery Hosts Artwork from Local Schools
“Teachers + Students,” which opens Tuesday, May 28, features original creations from art teachers and 7th to 12th grade students alike. The show will display an array of media — everything from painting and drawing to ceramics and installation work. School districts showing off their work include Cortland, Cincinnatus, Groton, Homer and Marathon.
The exhibition, which is free and open to the public, takes place at the Dowd Gallery’s temporary off-campus location at Main Street SUNY Cortland, 9 Main St.
An opening reception takes place from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 28. Gallery hours are 3 to 6 p.m. from Wednesday, May 29, to Friday, May 31, and Tuesday, June 4, and Wednesday, June 5. The gallery is closed Saturday, June 1, to Monday, June 3.
“While it’s not uncommon to see a show of student work or one featuring faculty or teacher work, it’s rare that an exhibition combines the two,” said Dowd Gallery Director Erika Fowler-Decatur. “‘Teachers + Students’ offers an opportunity to view such work side-by-side and trace the influence of the mentor on his or her (mentored students).”
The idea for the exhibition came from a conversation Fowler-Decatur shared with Chad Hovey, a lecturer of art and art history at SUNY Cortland. Hovey previously taught art at the secondary school level and mentioned that art teachers there need venues to show their work.
“Placing student work in the gallery setting, too, allows students to envision themselves as professional artists one day — and perhaps as art students at SUNY Cortland in the nearer future,” Fowler-Decatur said.
Featured artists include:
• Students from Cortland Junior-Senior High School, taught by C.J. Hodge and Robin Jackson: Caitlin Dougherty, Lesley-Ann Dries, Gianna Marks, Lydia Polley, Elisabeth Sprague and Hannah Whelan.
• Students from Cincinnatus High School, taught by Macksi Warner: Liz Golicki, Kassidy Kievit and April Rink.
• Students from Groton High School, taught by Brookley Spanbauer: Alissa Bell, Brooke Jackson and Mikayla Perkins.
• Students from Homer Junior High School, taught by Lauren Flood '06 and Michelle Piotti: Brenden Haskins, Kala Johnson, Brent McNeil, Kristen Rahner, Max Riley and Lucas Smith.
• Students from Homer High School, taught by Brian Wallace: Carly Dove, Alice Jenkins and Christine Stadler.
• Students from Marathon Junior-Senior High School, taught by David Quinlan: Tyler Abbott, Melissa Deland and Brittnie Dougherty.
Group tours of the Dowd Gallery are available. Contact Fowler-Decatur at 607-753-4216 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Although most college students have departed for the summer, SUNY Cortland’s Dowd Gallery is still welcoming local community members with a new exhibition featuring artwork from area schools.
|Lauren Flood '06, an art teacher at
Homer Junior High School, will have
her ceramic and soap work titled
"White on White" on exhibit.
Ceramic work titled "Hudson" was