Study Abroad Photo and Video Winners Named
Winners of SUNY Cortland’s third annual Study Abroad Photo and Video Contest were announced this week.
Presented by the College’s International Programs Office (IPO), the competition was open to all students who studied abroad through SUNY Cortland during the 2011-12 academic year.
For the first time this year, photos from SUNY Cortland’s own international students also were judged and winners awarded, said Hugh Anderson, a study abroad advisor in the IPO.
“The international students submitted photos that reflected social or cultural elements of their experience in the United States,” he said.
The winning photos and video, as well as honorable mentions not listed here, are available for viewing on the International Programs Photo and Video Contest page at cortland.edu/studyabroad/study-abroad/photo-contest.dot.
Students interested in submitting a photo or video for the next contest can visit the Photo and Video Contest page at cortland.edu/studyabroad/study-abroad/photo-contest.dot for details or contact the International Programs Office at email@example.com.
The photo contest winners are:
|Tyler Sleap won first place for his image, titled "Airborn," in the fourth annual Study Abroad Photo and Video Contest. Above left is Colin Frank's second-prize image, "A Cross from You."|
• Tyler Sleap, a SUNY Buffalo junior from Williamsville, N.Y., won First Place and a $100 award for “Airborn,” taken when he studied through SUNY Cortland at London Metropolitan University during Spring 2012.
• Colin Frank, a SUNY Potsdam senior from Fairport, N.Y., captured Second Place and a $75 award for “A Cross from You,” snapped when he was a student through SUNY Cortland at University College Cork during Summer 2012.
• Ashley Garry, a SUNY Cortland junior childhood education major from East Meadow, N.Y., was presented Third Place with a $50 award for “Village Life,” photographed when she was enrolled in the Summer in Ghana program during Summer 2012.
The video contest winners are:
• Evan DeSmitt, a SUNY Potsdam senior from Fairport, N.Y., won First Place and the $100 award for “Costa Rica,” which he produced as a scholar through SUNY Cortland at Universidad Veritas during Fall 2011.
• Stephanie Meyers, a SUNY Cortland senior psychology major from Fairport, N.Y., captured Second Place and the $75 award for her “Australia” video, produced while she studied at Griffith University during Spring 2012.
The international students photo contest winners are:
• Juan Galán Sabugo from Salamanca, Spain, earned First Place and a $100 award for “Living in the Street,” which he snapped while studying at SUNY Cortland for the 2012-13 academic year.
• Lisa Ramaseder from Graz, Austria, received Second Place and a $75 award for “Niagara Falls,” taken while she was studying at SUNY Cortland this fall.
• Paulina Lupa from Poland was awarded Third Place and $50 for “Niagara Falls,” which she photographed while studying at SUNY Cortland this fall.