Graduate Faculty Executive Committee
May 12, 2008
1. Minutes for 03/31/08 APPROVED with no changes. Minutes for 05/05/08 ACCEPTED WITH CHANGES
2. Review of new course proposal � EXS 549 � contingent pass based on clarification of the research project being an individual project as opposed to the group project found in EXS 449
3. Review of New Program Proposal � Kinesiology Department, Master of Science in Coaching.
TABLED.� Discussion centered around the research core or seemingly lack thereof.�� Basic questions: What does a Masters of Science mean?� Should a MS have a research methods course?� Should a research component be demonstrated throughout the program?
Suggestions were made regarding the name of the degree in light of the proposed degree designation as MS, within the SUNY system , there is a Masters in Professional Studies designation and perhaps the Department of Kinesiology would consider this degree title change.� Concerns also revolved around the use of the term �culminating activity� to describe a 500 level course.� Both of these suggestions and concerns will be relayed to the Department of Kinesiology by the Chair
4. Review of new course proposals associated with item # 3 � EXS 613, EXS 660, EXS 671 and alteration of existing course � EXS 551.
Put on hold until response from the Department of Kinesiology is made regarding item #3 above.
5. New course proposals � AED 578 and AED 678.
AED 578 was approved.
AED 678 � contingent pass based on further clarification of the course description to ensure that it does not simply mirror AED 697.� Resolution:� clarification provided and proposal forwarded to the Provost
6.� Alteration of existing courses � AED 576, AED 577 and PHY 530.
All alterations to AED 576, AED 577 and PHY 530 were approved
7. Alteration to existing programs � MAT_AEN Program and MSEd _AEN Program.
All alterations to the MAT_AEN Program and MSEd _AEN Program were approved.
8. Additional Business �
MAT 680 approved
HIS 622 � contingent approval based on submission and approval� of Form 5 (Program Alteration) as this course is being added as an option to an existing program.
The meeting minutes were taken by Pamela F. Summers and Jeff Walkuski