October 17, 2008
Present:� N. Aumann,� I. Jubran, J. Mosher, R.
Ponterio, P. Summers, D. Videto, J. Walkuski
Approval of Minutes from 9/5/08: �
Submitted by N. Aumann , the minutes were approved unanimously.�
Student Enrollment in Graduate Programs:
- Need data on matriculated students not signing up for
classes.� Should we find another designation for these students? D.
Margine says there is already the leave of absence requirement.�
- Leave of absence for graduate students was discussed. Can
a letter be generated at the end of the year, by the department or the
graduate studies office, to remind students that they have not registered
for classes in a year.
- Since the registrar�s office generates the letter for
undergraduates, shouldn�t they also generate the letter for the graduate
- At the Oct. 9th graduate coordinators meeting, D. Margine
was asked about the possibility of generating data on graduate enrollment
for one whole calendar year (Spring, Fall, and Summer).� The coordinators
were told that generating such data will be possible in the near future.
- Once the GFEC has the data, we will discuss how to
- Should the catalog description of the leave of absence be
rewritten?� P. Summers volunteered to start the rewrite if and when the
GFEC decides that a rewrite is needed.� Where does the change go to? EPC?�
Probably goes to GFEC then EPC then the Provost.
- J. Walkuski will contact the EPC about a joint meeting of
the GFEC and the EPC.
- Only 3 departments have the course for next semester.�
- If students take a leave of absence they do not have to
sign up for the course, but once they return they have to sign up for it
to remove the W.
GRE Requirement for Addmission into Graduate Programs:
- Only three departments require the GRE; some require a
minimum score, others do not. Some require the GRE but say that
exceptional candidates do not have to take it.�
- The GFEC needs to urge departments to review their catalog
admission requirements. If there is a GRE requirement, how clear is it and
how is it being enforced. Accreditation bodies do not take lightly
admission requirements not being upheld.
GFEC 2008/2009 Meeting Schedule:
March 20 at 11:30
Assuming no changes are needed in the Spring, all meetings
will be held in Miller 228 at 10:00 a.m, with the exception of March 20, 2009.
Isa S. Jubran